This Week's Edo Period Corner

Thank you, Koichi san. :thanks:

The Taiko with Mitsu-domoe Mon.

The skins are flabby, and one side has a small hole in it. There is something rattling

around inside (like Ian's!). It would really need to be completely recovered in new

skins, but it still looks pretty good to me as as a decoration, so I plan to keep it this

way. (The wife is not convinced. She doesn't want it in the house.) The wood rim is

fine, and the iron byo and three iron rings are in good condition.

post-601-14196760442721_thumb.jpg

post-601-1419676044595_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760449459_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760452772_thumb.jpg

Piers, As promised the images of my drum. The tassel was picked up in a flea market in Tokyo for the princely sum of 500 yen. I also include the pictures of the wash-tub lid. It must have been fabulous in its day but is now a sad relic.

Ian Bottomley

post-521-14196760456654_thumb.jpg

post-521-14196760462015_thumb.jpg

post-521-14196760465274_thumb.jpg

post-521-14196760522785_thumb.jpg

All, On a completely new tack is something I have treasured for about 20 years. I bought it from a great guy who used to run a Japanese antiques shop in San Francisco. Its made of Dutch leather, which was shipped to Nagasaki in the 18th century, but could be a bit older. When it was made into the pouch I do not know but it is now a bit fragile. The clasp is what got to me. The two kamon made me think it might be a wedding thing but I'm not sure.

Ian

post-521-14196760535101_thumb.jpg

post-521-14196760538371_thumb.jpg

John, No you are right. There are no holes in the edge for suspension of the pouch. It is also much bigger than the sagemono pouches. My guess is that it is for carrying documents, tucked into the kimono.

Ian

Henk-Jan, I have banged it a few times, and it makes that sort of sound, but the wife grimaced.

Stephen, it's a bit late now, hahaha :lol: The paint is a non-gloss water-based paint and looks fine, so apart from the general light clean-up I have left the work almost reversible if necessary.

Ian, many thanks for the pics. Your taiko is magnificent. The wash-tub lid (?) is fascinating. Are you sure that's what it was? Not a lacquer tray? As to the bill-fold/hold, it's Kinkarakawa, isn't it. Quite valuable even today. The double Mon could be what you say, or it could be the two Ura and Omote Mon of a family made up like that as a special order.

As you can see in the below photos, there are two Netsuke with Mitsu-domoe Mon, the bone one in the shape of a drum like yours, and the other in ivory with a silver centre/center. The two pouches are kinkarakawa, with the one on the left having a brass tang for slipping behind the belt and possibly being part of a soldier's equipment. The one on the right is a fold like yours with no holes or anything. In the back outside section was a wad of folded Washi paper (see photo) as though for writing or drawing or poetry.

post-601-14196760542244_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760545525_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760548893_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760552035_thumb.jpg

Piers, Despite the name the leather is in fact Dutch. Years ago I was walking around the Rijkes Museum in Amsterdam and came across a wall covered in the stuff. Even more interesting was that it was the exact pattern of leather as on the front of an armour of mine. After a chat with the leather curator, he took me up to his office / studio in the rafters of the building and there was the original wooden mould that design was made in. The process involved pressing wet sheepskins into the mould. When dry, selected parts were covered with tin foil and then coated with orange coloured varnish so that it looked gilded. The rest was then painted with oil based paints. When stretched on a frame, like a painting, it was used in place of wood panelling. It was also used for furniture and the like.

Ian

Piers, got something for you. Sorry for the cellphone camera bad quality but while I was visiting the exposition my reflex

was in the (dangerous) hands of my wife to take pictures of my children horseriding. :lol:

The catalogue (recommended) has a much better picture but I know the curator and wantn't be disrepectful to his work (Giuseppe, whish you forgive this) .

post-54-14196760592816_thumb.jpg

Carlo, Lorenzo, It is a kago hankyu or Riman kyu, so-called since it was invented by Hayashi Riman. The bows are almost always of baleen. What I found odd was the large and exotic shape of the carrying frame. They are usually much smaller and compact - there wasn't much room in a kago.

Ian

Hi Carlo, thanks for the thought! I wonder if those musket related bits are not new?

I'm at work now and based in my second house in Venice for the night, so no catalogue available to watch at the period of Edo they belongs to. Guess Lorenzo, if read this, can

give a more quick reply.

This is how I translate it.

KAGO-HANKYU

End of Edo period

A kago hankyu and one yumi-dai for travel, of dimensions adapted for being transported inside of a palanquin. It includes a bow and some arrows. This is a rare copy and signed Kobayashi Masaoku. The three kamon used together that decorate the surface, were used by some branches of the Matsudaira clan during the first decades of XIX th century.

John

Nothing to do with reindeer, I wot, but here are this week's mystery objects.

Picked them up at the antiques market, but the seller scratched his head.

The two scythes (Length 16 cm) appear to be made of some dark wood, like

Shitan or Kokutan?

The other is made of... bone? (L 18 cm)

Some ideas were suggested as to what they are, but what do you guys think?

post-601-1419676083028_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196760834109_thumb.jpg

i don't know about the sickles, but the second object makes me think of a needle used to repair fisher nets (could be made from whale bones). Wild guess :) :)

Jean, you could be right on either count. Whale bone sounds good to me. Someone who knows quite a lot about old J customs offered a different suggestion and conferred with an old customer who then agreed with him.