This Week's Edo Period Corner

As the explanation says:

"all topics related to Nihonto, collecting, the Samurai, Japanese Art or Japanese history"

we were running an assorted thread on the old site. Not particularly to ask questions, but just to show whatever else you happened to have.

Ian posted his magnificent horse finery, and then Carlo showed a Boxer Rebellion "Alliance of 8" red lacquer cup with the Western Powers flags, then Ian came back with some unusual travel coverings for swords and a mune-ate/muna-ate, ...and there the thread locks. I am planning to take a few shots now of things to back these up, but if anyone wants to take this thread in another direction feel free. We can always come back! :soap:

Some sake cups from various wars and battles. The top one is a heavy artillery officer returned to Japan from the Russo-Japanese war around 1904-1905? The middle one set was created for someone who worked for the Red Cross with the Imperial Japanese army late 1930s, early 1940s (?) and returned safely from Shanghai. The bottom one commemorates the war dead of the Russo-Japanese War 1904-5. It says 忠魂碑 Chu-kon-hi which was inscribed on memorial stones throughout Japan after the war. Japan was closely allied with Britain at the time. 'Spirit of Loyalty'... to lay down one's life for one's country?

post-601-14196743313751_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196743317319_thumb.jpg

post-601-14196743320866_thumb.jpg

On the old board I posted a list of possible subjects: "Kiseru, photos of castles, Netsuke, Coinage, Ukiyo-e hanga, urushi nuri ware, zogan, jingasa, Mon, kimono, boshi, horse trappings, guns, etc., things you may not have any questions about, but you might want others to see."

They don't have to be of any great monetary value, but as long as they stimulate the imagination! Most of my things have no great value, but they provide a link for me back into a very special age on this planet.

At the moment the board has gone rather quiet. Possibly many people have not managed to find the new board yet.

What happened to Carlo's bits? If no-one has anything to add verbally or pictorially to the present themes, then I am tempted to show some shoku-dai candle holders and Andon. I can post two or three pictures of yari, Netsuke, coins, jingasa, wooden and Urushi boxes and chests, cosmetics containers, Tanegashima, matchlock equipment, etc. Can you add your pictures to flesh out any of these areas?

If anyone has any objections to this thread, please post away. I can imagine that people might think it is hogging the subject matter of this whole discussion area. If so, I am quite happy to shut up and get my coat! :freak: :lol:

Hi Piers.

I'm still alive... :lol:

Simply I feel very inadequate coparing my poor sake cups with the items posted hereabove and in the

other (lost) half of the thread..

Anyway, as seems I'm not the only one that collect sake cups,

and there is nobodyelse (that I know) here in Italy interested in them :

First Sino-Japanese war, Navy (1895) :

coppe2003.jpg

3rd Rgt Imperial Guard (Konoe) Flag Festival (1898) :

2008_02_03026.jpg

Boxer rebellion "Northern China Disturbance" (1900) :

coppe2002.jpg

Anti-Boxer "Alliance of 8" (around 1901):

cup001b.jpg

Russo-Japanese war, Konoe (Imperial Guard) cavalry with Tsuba (1905) :

coppe2001.jpg

Russo-Japanese war, Navy, 3 Imperial Regalia with Abalone inserts (1905):

2008_02_03024.jpg

Russo-Japanese war, Navy (1905 but I'm not sure on this one) :

Russo-japanese20war20190520Navy.jpg

Siberian Expedition boxed set of 2 (1919/1920) :

Siberianexpeditionsetmain.jpg

Aviator's badge, (late '20s/early '30s) :

Aviatorbadgecup2.jpg

The leftmost one is from the (cancelled) Olimpyc games in Tokyo (1940).

Is shown upsidedown with a period "Tropical Helmet" one to show the similarities :

Olimpicgamespossiblydeleted1940cupa.jpg

This seems to be a cup in Commemoration of the retirement of Mr. Aida (相田). :idea:

Thanks Moriyama San. No inscriptions on the back.

Seems to me it has no reference to a period so I dated it accordingly to the shape,

dimensions, quality and theme. I've seen others very similar dated to 1905 war, but

I can't be sure on this one.

Pity about the quality of the shot, but what a great picture. Look at the way he is brandishing his tachi,

and his feet! He's wearing waraji, yes and...... it's popular among young people in Japan today to splay their feet on their motorbikes just like that!

Even so, to have bare feet and waraji is bad enough in the winter, but to place them on steel abumi is just plain nuts.

Painting on paper by Kikuchi Yosai, 1788 - 1878, depicting Ashikaga Takauji

signed : rokuju shichinen YOSAI

Eric

Eric,

That painting reminds me of the attached painting which is now called Kibamushazo (騎馬武者åƒ) of Kyoto National Museum. The Kibamushazo had been thought to be Ashikaga Takauji (足利尊æ°) for many years. Our generation or older persons were taught at school that it was the painting of Ashikaga Takauji, though the theory is now denied.

Your painting seems to be inspired by this famous painting. :idea:

post-20-14196743461926_thumb.jpg

Piers,

Do you think I could afford to feed in on my pension?

Ian Bottomley

Ian, I have sent you a pm. Apologies may be in order here. :beer:

Eric, with such an elaborate katana-kake, you would have to be careful with color/colour coordination. That is, you couldn't just put any koshirae on there IMHO. I even wonder wherether the creator made the stand to fit the swords. What do you normally display on it?

Wheres Bugsy?? second over from banner pole center row?

I am more interested in the babe at the far left................

any close up, Bugsy ?

milt

:roll: You obviously didn't read my reply to Stephen on the previous page, Milt. :steamed: :lol:

PS Further pics are 300 USD each, or 1,000 for five. 8)

ops.............. :oops:

I was guessing the top row 3 rd from the right with the lop sided meidate.

Don't tell me you have two girls.

By the way, Ihave a 22 year old boy, going to law school later this year, may be we can arrange something............. ;)

milt

He is the son of an eminent sword and gun shop owner. I'll tell him what you said about him and his maedate!!! :badgrin:

As to the little arrangement, normally I would say no. But for your son? Mmmmmm....

Actually she is pretty, much, spoken for, at present! :lol:

The other one makes jewellery and is one Oriental zodiac cycle above her sister. :D

He is the son of an eminent sword and gun shop owner. I'll tell him what you said about him and his maedate!!! :badgrin:

As to the little arrangement, normally I would say no. But for your son? Mmmmmm....

Actually she is pretty, much, spoken for, at present! :lol:

The other one makes jewellery and is one Oriental zodiac cycle above her sister. :D

Tell that boy ( I amended the position, the first dude belongs to second row ) to grow a beard or something..........the meidate ia a " devil face " with red ears, right ? Have a similar one on one og my kabuto, mine comes with white hairs.

milt

Joan of Arc, or Jean d'Arc? I will tell him/her? to grow a beard from you, Milt. The black hairs might get caught in his teeth tracks/braces, though.

White hairs indeed, in the devil's ears? There is a name for these little Mae-date fellows with the red ears but it escapes me at present. OK. I will have a look next time we all parade our finery, er... sorry, strut our stuff. Actually they are white whiskers, right?