This Week's Edo Period Corner

Morning Piers,

Both are signed Kikugawa Eizan Hitsu.

The top circle seal on both is Kiwame (Censor's approval)

The seal under on print one as discussed.

The seal under on print two is difficult, it may have zodiacal dates in it, but I cannot read it.

The closest shape I can get to the Tangerine like cartouche is one used by a Shin Hanga artist, so of no use.

I'll phone a friend

Cheers

Let´s run with the print-thread a bit longer. Here´s my first ever Japanese print which I bought 10-12 years ago. Kunisada. Possible 1820-30. I always wondered what it´s depicting? I bought it mostly because I liked the sinister look on the face of the guy in the front. Sometimes it´s the little things... :)

/Jan

post-2890-14196838363809_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info on Toyokuni, Malcom.

You are probably right about the Chusingura, Piers. The jagged black and white symbol is standard with this story.

And the guy (Lord Asano) is holding the sword wrapped in ricepaper. No wonder he is looking a bit "focused"

/Jan

Thanks for that massive database of prints. Def similar to the one I have. But I have spent several hours trying to find this specific series, but not been able to find anything. The box at the top with the jagged black and white pattern are nowhere to be found :bang:

Thanks again, Piers!

Jan

Good morning Piers,

It's close but not exactly the same, could be a recut from older worn blocks.

I can't make the signature out to Kunisada, though it might be Kunisada II.

It was published by Wakasa Ya Yoichi.

Wakasa Ya Yoichi started life as a Censor.

Cheers

Now you have got me all hopeful, Malcolm. I have various odd Utagawa prints, but the whole name-change thing was so confusing that I had really called it a day. If I can find some spare time, I might throw a couple of questions your way if you don't mind?

Quick note on the Evangelion theme at Osafune. Had to go round there very early yesterday to help with set-up and dressing people in eight sets of armor/armour, but with special passes we had time to have a quick gander at the exhibition. Now I was not expecting anything great, having heard the rumors/rumours, but it was refreshingly better.

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/y8077jp/66966660.html

The first rush of entrants has now fallen off apparently, but they are bracing themselves for August and wondering if anything can be tweaked a little to make it more interesting. One problem is that the museum curators are unable to answer questions about Evangelion! All they can talk about is swords, for heaven's sake! :lol:

In our air-conditioned changing room complete with lighting, stage and uma-jirushi, we managed to entertain 175 people through the day by dressing them in genuine Katchu. :phew:

Piers,

Came across the Evangelion exhibit pics on Kawasaki-san's facebook page, and I have to say my eyebrows were probably floating above my head they were so arched. Never in a thousand years would I have bet that something like that could happen. I can imagine that it's probably caused a stir in the Japanese nihonto community!

There are a lot of pics here by the way.

I'll reserve any qualitative opinions on the event itself, but I have to at least point out that that Lance of Longinus is a monumental (both literally and figuratively) forging demonstration. If nothing else, the smiths demonstrated no less care and effort in these works than they do in their normal traditional creations.

Thanks for the links to the pics and the thoughts Gabriel. The Lance has pride of place in the main ground-floor exhibition room.

Most of the 'traditional' armor/armour, swords, sheaths etc., on display has been lent by private people around here, and despite some of it conforming strictly to type, much of it is in someway unusual or extraordinary for its age, overstepping the boundaries of convention. I have a dealer friend with an incredible collection of beautiful Koshirae and he lent several, he was saying.

Quick note, my spaceship will soon be passing round the dark side of the moon, so sadly I will not be able to visit here quite so easily for a few weeks... 8)