Rubbing salt in Pete's wound

Guido

Went to the NBTHK iron Tsuba exhibition today - I don't remember seeing 8 Nobuie and 11 Kaneie side by side, plus the 4 (each) Kotôshô, Kokatchûshi, Kanayama & Yamakichibei. And 22 first class Higo Tsuba. And oh, I almost forgot the other 52 iron Tsuba by famous artists.

Are you still conscious? :badgrin:

My photo was taken from October NBTHK magazine.
And it's a prime example why looking at photos and the real thing are two totally different worlds. Up close its color and luster and "depth" takes one's breath away, the picture is a far cry from the original. :cry:

And it's a prime example why looking at photos and the real thing are two totally different worlds. Up close its color and luster and "depth" takes one's breath away, the picture is a far cry from the original. :cry:

Hi Guido,

To me it is obvious but it is a good point worth making on NMB. No substitute for seeing the real thing in hand.

If I could do a turn around trip I'd do it just to see the exhibition - in a heartbeat - but it's just not possible. And -- with the weather coming in, impossible.

+1

quite the exhibit

11 Kaneiye side by side on exhibit boggles the mind of those us who collect from afar and rarely get to see such pieces in person.

whom you do tell this?mine dear Gentlemen!

+1 for me here...

it seems despite "Ihro Fürstlichkeit in Gnaden Diener" Guido;nobody else of us actually could attain this "Buffet de Trimalchio".

so,still restricted to get an shiny glance from past and maybe some crisp remind in looking dusty pictures :dunno:

LOL!

Christian

I went to the NBTHK Kurogane no Hana display yesterday. It was wall to wall with the best of iron tsuba that I have ever seen in one room. It was quite impressive. A lot of the pieces are familar and since pictures were not allowed to be taken, I have trawled around and found published pics of some of the displayed pieces.

Starting with Kaneie:

post-15-14196883887107_thumb.jpg

post-15-14196883891119_thumb.jpg

post-15-14196883891602_thumb.jpg

I think it was this one on display. The Nike logo shaped moon was the main detail I vividly recall.

post-15-1419688389219_thumb.jpg

And my all time favourite tsuba was there too. Sorry about the blue picture. :Drooling: :

post-15-14196883892773_thumb.jpg

Kaneie tsuba are truly spectaular. Something I found very striking was the thinness of the plates, the height of the carving relief in comparison and the exceptional colour that can only be described as a black with brown under tones and a very subtle moist appearing patina. The addition of any gold inlay to highlight details is skillfully applied as well. A real treat I must say.

I was also lucky enough to meet Paul Martin too who was with a sword study tour from the Keio Plaza hotel. Everybody seemed to be enjoying what was on offer and Paul was mingling with the visitors (myself included) and chatting about this and that.

The Nobuie on display were superb (I can't find any pics of them at the minute) but they represented all the work styles associated with Nobuie including the roundish plates, the turtle shell fret pattern, open work wheel shaped tsuba and the four lobe shaped peices that Nobuie is famous for, as well the subtle convex plain. Also there was the kebori style carving with waves, vines and pictotial scenes. The Nobuie jimon surface finish, as well as the typical patina was there for all to see. Paul and I both agree that no matter how often we look, each time, there is a certain emotional response that is very pleasant.

The only disappointing thing was the English translations of the exhibition notes were pretty terrible and made little sense at times. Being the well-read scholar that I am I could rely of my many years of earnest study to decipher what the NBTHK was trying to say. However the volume of non Japanese passing through when I was there was significant and I think they would not have learnt much from the nonsense placards. I ask why not have some one proficent in English review the placards...? :dunno:

Also it is a pity that the NBTHK did not make a publication to accompany this display. It they did it would be one of those "must have" books that all tsuba collectors should own. I hope to be able to visit again before the the display ends. At 600 yen for admission, it is the best money I have spent in a long time.

Agreed. Words fail at the quality of the showcases. Lines and lines of tsuba, by age and school, examples to die for. The only weak link I could see was when they arbitrarily changed the wording after two 'Heianjo tsuba' to 'Kyo-sukashi'.

Some of the examples were reminiscent of tosogu on sale at the DTI at staggering prices, 5,000,000 ~ 10,000,000 JPY and beyond.

PS Having read your post above, Henry, I must agree on Kane-ie. The display opened my eyes. I never understood why people go on about Kane-ie, having only seen so many copies and poor b&w photos, I suppose. Now I am converted. Such beautiful intricate delicate sense in the gold inlay touches for example. Also yes, I do hope they publish an illustrated handbook for this.

Another bad boy that was on display was this one. Paul and I and a few other visitors had a good look at it and enjoyed it together. Hoan tsuba are not that common I have found and I was delighted to see this group nicely represented, but only with two tsuba as examples. This might demonstrate the rareity of Hoan. Amongst the Yamakichibei displayed, this tsuba was one of the most memorible for me.

post-15-14196883900679_thumb.jpg

I can remember a long time ago someone discussing why a shakudo plug has been used, as it is such a mismatch for the colour of the tsuba. The tsuba in reality is a very dark colour, while not as dark as shakudo it really is very different to what is seen in the picture (how did they get a grey colour?). Basically, it is as close in shade to shakudo that iron can get. If I recall correctly Paul commented it looks like chocolate.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought my hint would have caused some curiousity, like, what the heck is he talking about? Tsuba, acid, what? The tsubako who made Hoan tsuba used a technique called kusarakashi to etch their tsuba. Can anyone think of tsuba where acid enhancement may have played a part? John

Well, I thought my hint would have caused some curiousity, like, what the heck is he talking about? Tsuba, acid, what? The tsubako who made Hoan tsuba used a technique called kusarakashi to etch their tsuba. Can anyone think of tsuba where acid enhancement may have played a part? John

Hizen, Hoan, Hirado, Umetada, Tempo, and a number of other schools.

Still own a nice Hizen example.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..