Better Pict.possible Masayoshi

Dave4691

I'm curious how you determined this sword is fake.It was part of a collection brought from Japan by a friend's great great grandfather.One sword from the collection was sold a few years ago for a large sum.

Dave that Sword is a blueprint for a fake Japanese sword. Nothing on it is Japanese. Maybe it is a high quality made himalayan butan sword forged by a famous monk and it is thousends of dollars worth. But it is not Japanese. And i will bet with you that this sword has never been in Japan. Maybe it was a decoration in a Japanese restaurant somewhere in the world. Who knows..

• Like 1

This sword does not have a real hamon (temper line), the geometry is all wrong, especially at the kissaki (tip), and the jihada (body steel) looks more like poorly imitated Damascus steel than forged tamahagane. 

I'm afraid Chris and the others are quite right.

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry but the advice you've had is correct. There's an article here on identifying fake swords and it's relatively easy to spot the similarities between your example and those given to illustrate the fakes. Also compare with the examples of the genuine article: http://jssus.org/nkp/fake_japanese_swords.html

Unfortunately, just because an item from a collection sold for big money does not mean that it was genuine or that the other items in the collection are genuine. This leaves aside the issue of whether or not the story your friend told you is true. If you bought it from him, return it and get your money back - fakes don't come any fakier than this.

I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this.

Best,

John

• Like 3

Thanks for taking the time to help. Fortunately i was given the text book fakeyest of the fake without one Japanese part Chinese replica sword.(you guys had me laughing with your posts)so I'm not out any money.This is a great forum.

Thanks again Dave

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..