What kind of jihada?

Viper6924

:D

Ok, you asked for it:

Perhaps Mokume mixed with Itame.

The reason I ask is because I not seen this "wild mix" in any of my other swords.

And then I saw a jihada called Yakumo-hada, which I think also could be a correct answer. The sword is a shin-shinto.

But perhaps I´m barking up the wrong tree.

Now let me have it...

/Jan

Jan,

describing hada is not an exact science. Even between the texts we use as startnig points they often define hada differently. Your itame/mokume view is, I think, perfectly acceptable and a reasonable one.

I have never come across "Yakumo-hada," so perhaps someone who has can enlighted us both as to what it means.

Looks like o-itame to me.......

yakumo hada is the name given to the rather unique forging used by shinshinto smith Mito Nariaki (Rekko), who was the 9th head of the Mito clan. He didn't sign his work with a mei but with a chrysanthemum and clock.

Here's a good example of matsukawa hada to compare with.

http://www.nihonto.ca/norishige-2/

The sword in question looks to have a similar pattern but I'm not sure it has that very bold look of matsukawa hada that they say comes from the mixture of two different steels. That being said this sword has pretty bold hada for shinshinto. I would probably call this itame/mokume w/ masame in yakiba. Now if I can just find some ayasugi in there... :lol:

Quite different from matsukawa hada as seen in blades by Norishige....This is more an o-itame with mokume that has been packed at the edge.

Irregardless it is a very well made blade....

Matsukawa hada stands out more- it is more burly with flowing light and dark steels. See below...

post-1462-14196810768468_thumb.jpg

First I must thank You all for an highly intresting conversation :bowdown: I´m soaking everything up like water.

Second I feel this is another shinsa-projekt.

I include some more pictures (it´s hard to take good pictures of the hada). One picture of the overall shape and one of the "long life" mei.

Any idee´of the maker?

P.S I really like the picture 0725. Looks like a an almost perfect set of evil looking eyes :)

Thanks again!

Jan

post-2890-14196810772554_thumb.jpg

post-2890-14196810775921_thumb.jpg

post-2890-14196810780432_thumb.jpg

post-2890-14196810784301_thumb.jpg

post-2890-14196810793253_thumb.jpg

Jan,

I think you can see from the coments above that my original point regarding describing hada not being an exact science is confirmed. When looking at the finer points of the structure there is as with many other characterisitcs an element of subjectivity.

Whatever your hada is it looks to be awell made blade and worth some effort to try and pin it down.

Good luck

Paul

Hi Paul!

I agree with the "element of subjectivity". For a rookie like myself, who starts to take nihonto really serious, it´s great to hear the great minds of this board.

Nihonto is like any other artform. There is no 100%.

I also understands it´s very hard to cast good judgements based on badly taken pictures.

But many members on this board are highly skillful. So it´s always worth a try. And even if I get 5-6 dif suggestions for a maker, it´s somewhere for me to start digging deeper.

And if anyone heard of a future shinsa in the north of Europe, give me a shout :D

All the best!

Jan

Thanks Jacques and David.

I thought "JUMYO" only was a mei the smith wrote on blades that were being given away as gifts to persons or temples.

So this is acctually the name.

Mmm, intresting.

Thanks again, guys!

Jan

It is an actual mei with no connection to gifts.....As has been said, there is a long line of smiths using this mei in Mino which continued right up into the early 20th century....

Hi Chris!

So I guess finding out which Jumyo will be pretty hard.

Another shinsa-projekt for the future :)

Anyway, by looking at the overall blade and the hada, it must have been a fairly skilled smith.

Thanks again, Chris!

Jan

Jan,

I think you can see from the coments above that my original point regarding describing hada not being an exact science is confirmed. When looking at the finer points of the structure there is as with many other characterisitcs an element of subjectivity.

Whatever your hada is it looks to be awell made blade and worth some effort to try and pin it down.

Good luck

Paul

Yep..I think Paul has the crux of the matter. There are no hard and fast rules, and swords seldom look like those picture perfect illustrations in the books.

One man's itame is another man's mokume/itame mix etc.

It is sometimes more of a gut feel than an exact science.I definitely see some mokume, but there is really no such thing as pure mokume..so I would go with o-itame/mokume. But the matsukawa hint is there. It isn't..but has some of that feel to it too.

Brina

It should be possible to narrow it down a bit by drawing some inferences as to the period.

It may also be the case that the smith was modeling this blade on the work of Norishige...I have seen many Jumyo signed blades and don't recall seeing one with this type of hada before...

As I said, it is a well made blade and clearly the smith was skilled...

Louis, You must have beautiful forrests up in Quebec :)

Chris, Yeah, when I saw this tanto for the first time I was really taken by the hada. Even I could place it in late shinto to shin-shinto period. So I started to look around for unusual hadas. I found the Rekko hada in a book. Couldn´t really find anything that made a better match. Now when I see this matsukawa hada, I think it´s a bit closer. But not 100%.

The koshirae is really nice. So someone have put some money into it. I only wish the mei could help a little more.

/Jan

Interesting blade indeed. Jumyo works do seem to run a wide gammut, but on average tend to look stereotypical Mino. I had one paper a couple years ago that was an early Jumyo (Muromachi period) and at first glance looked very yamashiro and even had elements of Ayasugi with utsuri. Very unusual and kind of majiwari, but in line with works from that period when I further researched it.

As far as the definitions and terminologies of hada, many special terms are generally associated with groups or smiths that most used them. Additionally, there's elements such uniformity, jinie, chikei, etc., that support their appearance in ways that are fairly specific.

Ayasugi = Gassan and Naminohira

Matsukawa = Norishige (Etchu province)

Chirimen = Aoi Groups (Bitchu province)

Konuka = Hizen Tadayoshi

Uzumaki = Naotane

Nenren = Sa school

As for the subject sword, I would not call it Matsukawa, but mokume with itame. The oshigata provided illustrates what classic matsukawa hada should resemble.

Just my two cents.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..