Gendaito in Type 3 Gunto koshirae

Daniel

Hello all I just bought this sword http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0596197035 Sorry I haven't had the time to take my own photos yet. Can you help me translate the nakago please? Question No:2 I know this smith (Masahisa) was a Rikugun jumei tosho but do you have any additional info of him. At last opinions of sword are most welcome, and yes I know it's not a National treasure but I like it. Thanks for your help. Regards Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I had a look through my Japanese references and could not find him. The only source was in English on Jinsoo Kim's list of RJT smiths known only from writings...your sword is the first time one has surfaced "in the flesh", so you confirm his Japanese RJT sources. I could find no trace of him in searching through the lists of students of prominent gendai teachers so don't know where he studied.

Your mei says (I think) "Temman Ju Toriwa Minamoto Masahisa Saku". He is listed in Hawley 1981 MAS 229 as Masakiyo, in Miyazaki, 1940. All my references for Miyazaki have no mention of him...it is a possible sign that he emerged later than 1942-43. he must have been good to be accepted into the RJT scheme.(you could google "Tenman/Temman as a place, but there will probably be a lot as I think it is likely a temple, but if a temple in Miyazaki, it might give you a starting point to see if any forges were set up there during the war, and from this...well, who knows what you will find).

This is not much information I know, but it is a start and yours is the first of his work to appear...you'll have to do the research and get back to NMB with your results.

Regards,

George.

Hi, George

This sword mei is "Tenma ju Toba/Toriwa(family name) Minamoto no MASAHISA saku". This swordsmith was in Osaka-Prefecture. 鳥羽正久

Another swordsmith of the same smith-name was in Osaka. He was Ikeda Masahisa.池田正久

The family name of Masahisa in Miyazaki-Prefecture is Yamaji/Yamachi Masahisa. 山地正久

Ah, Osaka... I was wrong about Miyazaki...sorry Daniel.

I have seen Ikeda Masahisa of Osaka in the books and I remeber Yamaji Masahisa from somewhere (but can't remember where now)...he is Miyazaki as Morita san says. So, your Toba/Toriwa Masahisa is from Osaka...I'm sorry, I have nothing on him (unless I missed it somewhere), I would be interested in what you find.

Regards,

George.

Hi thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. I googled Masahisa before I placed my bid on the sword and the only hit I got was the list of Jinsoo Kim so I understood that there probably didn't exist that many known swords by this smith. I will continue my research and if I find something I'll let you know. If there is someone else who might have some info please let me know. Once again thank you for your replies and efforts. Daniel

Hello Jason Yes I do like it I must say it even look better in reality than in the eBay listing. Yes it took a while for the sword to arrive but gladly it was unharmed. Nice to see that you to are a member here, it's a small world and the nihonto world is even smaller I guess. Best wishes Daniel

For those of you who might be interested I´ve dowloaded the pics from the listing. Credits to Jason as he was the one taking the photos. Just want to point out that there is a nice turnback at the boshi as this is hard to see from the pics. Have a nice day. Daniel

post-1779-14196790951535_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196790952968_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196790954984_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196790956257_thumb.jpg

post-1779-14196790957112_thumb.jpg

post-1779-1419679095808_thumb.jpg

Yes me again. I´m sick and home from work with nothing better to do. But at last I had the time trying translate the date myself. Mark gave me the answer May 1944. This is what I got. Showa, 10, 9, year, May, month, 6, day. and that means 1945 the sixth day of may or am I wrong? If I add 19 to 1926(the beginning of Showa) that equals 1945. What do I do wrong since I get 1945 and Mark who I expect has a little more experience than I do got 1944. Regards Daniel

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..