o-suriage blade

Jock

Hi Folks,

I got this very old o-suriage sword - beautiful temperline! Sadly only the first kanji is visible - rest has been cut off (that is if there was more than one) - Please have a look at the pic below and tell me your most appreciated opinions. Please excuse my novice drawing - not exactly 100% curate but all the other things like photo / baking powder etc didn't give me any presentable result - hope that the pic/drawing is good enough to draw conclusions.

Thanks for your help!

Jock

post-391-14196775393824_thumb.jpg

Jock, Would it be possible for you to take a picture of the kanji itself rather than a drawing? I am sure you have made every effort to interpret what you are seeing, but unless you are familiar with the kanji, your drawing will be difficult to read. It only needs a stroke to be at a slightly wrong angle, or positioned slightly out of place and it becomes indecipherable.

Ian Bottomley

Hi Folks,

-

I just tried to scan a blade and amazingly this is 100 times easier than photos and absolutely detailed - if you haven't tried it - you missed something.....

Please see the 2 pics below for more details about this particular kanji

thanks for your help!

Regards,

Jock

post-391-14196775476506_thumb.jpg

post-391-14196775477257_thumb.jpg

Nice Blade!!

I knew I'd seen it recently :)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Japanese-sword-k ... 2a04a49ea2

Simon

Good pickup Kirshy!! The ebay blurb is writ:

-----------------------------------------

Original Japanese Samurai Sword - tempered blade no fatal flaws Very sharp cutting edge. Very old in superb polish - o-suriage with one kanji (see pic) - The most amazing blade/temperline I came across up to now - just love it - change in employment and my son's recent operation forced me to sell some of the blades I actually planned keeping! One has to love the koshirae / fittings. Will try to find out more about the smith and add it to my posting!

I'll be away for a couple of days but will try to reply to your questions - can't promise but will try!

Shipping: International Shipping = US $ 70 + $ 50 for insurance = $120 (reason for $120 is insurance + postage is higher for items above 1m length and this item is about 115 incl. package)

Item can be seen and can be picked up from Coffs Harbour Australia....

Reserve Price is $3500

-----------------------------------------

Jock, I presume the "Will try to find out more about the smith and add it to my posting!" will be the knowledge gained from this Board!! Well, you've had some help and as postage out of and into Australia has been a topic here do please tell how you are shipping a 115cm blade/sword. The last time I posted a sword through the local post office the limit was 105cm. So I'm guessing you are not using Australia Post???

While I'm here a collector friend in South Australia asked me this question:

------------------------------------------

A local collector recently made the comment that he thought the embargo by Australia Post on sending swords to Japan had been relaxed.

------------------------------------------

Another thorn in our "collective" sides. Can any Aussie collector comment on this????

Regards,

Barry Thomas.

Jock,

Is this yours that you are selling? :steamed:

If so....it is exactly what we have been warning against doing on the forum, and exactly the type of abuse of the forum that is bugging most people here. I am not interested in excuses this time. Suspended.

Brian

Hi Brian,

SUSPENDED?? For what exactly?

a) I didn't refer to NMB on ebay

b) I didn't refer to ebay via NMB

I'm selling a sword and discovered a kanji on it - I tried to find out some of the history related to it for the future owner - to find out the history etc of the swords (I thought) is one of the NMB purposes - so the only damage I have done is enabling somebody to buy a sword and getting more information supplied with it. I do not see any need for an excuse on my site, but expect an apology from you for your behaviour!

This was far from rational is is very personal!

Jock

Jock,

Is this yours that you are selling? :steamed:

If so....it is exactly what we have been warning against doing on the forum, and exactly the type of abuse of the forum that is bugging most people here. I am not interested in excuses this time. Suspended.

Brian

Brian,

Did you read your own message? "Is it?" and "if so" you are suspended! Thanks for giving me the time to answer your questions - not! Thank God legal systems don't approach situations like you did with this one!

Jock

Jock

this is your first post.

Hi Folks,

I got this very old o-suriage sword - beautiful temperline! Sadly only the first kanji is visible - rest has been cut off (that is if there was more than one) - Please have a look at the pic below and tell me your most appreciated opinions. Please excuse my novice drawing - not exactly 100% curate but all the other things like photo / baking powder etc didn't give me any presentable result - hope that the pic/drawing is good enough to draw conclusions.

Thanks for your help!

Jock

Had you said im putting this on Ebay/ or posted it in Ebay sales thread/ saying i need your help to give a buyer the understanding of what you had. It would have went a long way, it seemed like you were hiding someting from us, or more,expect to see this gone soon.

Well I think we can safely say it is yours or you are selling it so that part at least is a moot point. As far as the other there has been a lot of talk lately about getting information for e-bay sales and how it almost seems an insult to use the talent here for that purpose. It is OK to say you are looking for added history to tell the new owner - thats nice but you mean you didn't think adding the smiths name and history while the sword is listed could help the sale?

The moderator has ruled - I don't think you have much to say other than to apologise to him! You could PM some of the guys you must know in Australia and ask them if they don't mind. Considering the ruckus this caused a couple of weeks ago I think anyone should go fishing for what is almost a commercial reason on the board.

Now I know why guys like Ted and other moderators end up :bang:

I asked the question, but then read the post and auction a dozen times, and it was very clear to me that there was no other explanation. You own the blade, and had listed it for sale, and then come here looking for info to enhance your commercial sale, without mentioning this and once again taking advantage of the helpful members.

If you have bothered reading the forum even a little bit lately, you will have seen all the discussions around this very point, and how frustrated people are getting. If you need commercial info, by all means ask..but have the courtesy to mention your purposes.

I am not going to rehash this whole debate again. The fact is that this is NOT a democracy, and I am not here to make everyone happy.

If people are hesitating to provide info because they don't want to spend hours researching info for someone who only intends to use it to make money...then my job is to protect them and ensure they feel comfortable assisting people. That is what grows the forum and makes for a pleasant environment here.

So I stick by my decision, and hope that the members understand, and support it. If you don't, then Jock, I suggest you go back and read the past few week's threads.

And if you continue to create new logins, I'll add an ip ban and not just a suspension.

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..