Cicadageddon

Mark S.

In honor of the upcoming cicada invasion (labeled “cicadageddon” because both the 17 and 13 year broods are hatching at same time) in the Midwest, the fact that I am a certified arborist, and also the City Forester for a municipality in the Chicagoland area, I purchased the attached tsuba at the recent Chicago Sword Show and menuki off EBay. Collections are created for all different reasons…

image1.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 5
  • Wow 1

These are not too common! Interesting.

Somewhere I have a very old pair of iron 蝉 (semi) cicada menuki, with remains of zogan, but the features are largely rusted away. Will add them here if I can remember.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Two from a Swedish Museum site.  Formerly from Didrik Bildt Collection around 1914.

The maru one Signed: Yoshisumi.   The other Signed: Miöchin [Myōchin] Kino Munesuke. The one on the right From a different Swedish museum. : Gift of the Friends of the National Museum to NM [Nationalmusei Vänner]1912, The item comes from Oscar Björck's private collection. Wrongly described as a Wasp.

cicada Sweden.jpg

i-img600x450-1708586894ofkxzx586010.jpg   Some menuki at a sale https://www.jauce.com/auction/p1125992196

Edited by Spartancrest
Last minute auction image
  • Like 3