Cubism in Tsuba Art?

goo

Gustavo,

cubism has mainly to do with cubes/squares while these differently decorated spaces on the TSUBA are triangles. It is a more playful way to show the many ways to create a surface structure.

• Like 2

It was purchased in 1911, but this means not necessarily it was made at this point.

However, the idea is intriguing, cubism combines different views on a motiv and thus plays with different shapes (triangels, too). But what is the motif here?

I agree with Jean C. it is at least a collection of pattern maybe to present different possibilities how to decorate a surface.

It reminds me to patterns seen on habaki. Perhaps it would be an idea to post it into Bruce’s thread: www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/32583-cat-scratch-habaki/ .

Best,

Florian

20 minutes ago, DirkO said:

supposedly they were a sort of tsuba samples to show what the texture possibilities were. 

That is what I have heard before as well - I don't know if we can get any proof of this - not that it really matters as they are a very interesting tour de force in their own right.

• Like 2

…..I still think something like this is a possible inspiration candidate.

If they are intended to illustrate different punched designs why repeat just a few of them?

Dunno

IMG_4097.jpeg

• Like 2

I have one similar to this that I got not too long ago,  but I haven't photographed it yet.  Here is an image from the auction:

i-img1200x900-1706945188btu2cd194285.thumb.jpg.b2fe215f10974d8baba4302ab53c8a4d.jpg

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not directly related, but since 4 years, a reknowed tsuba master in Japan is wornking in a daishô tsuba depicting the Guernika of Picasso. I hope he finsih soon, I saw it 2 years ago and, even when it's not a "traditional" tsuba, is amazing.

• Thanks 1
  • Wow 1

Regardless of whether these Tsuba constitute "cubism" or not, I find the idea rather interesting.

Usually when discussing the relationship between Western and Japanese (Edo Period) art the relationship is in the reverse as Van Gogh is known to have been inspired by ukiyo-e art which inspired the wider Japonaiserie movement in Western art circles around the late 1880's and 1890's. You can see this in the vibrant colours of Van Gogh's Sunflower series.

I would say the idea of Picasso's cubism potentially influencing later Meiji Period Tsuba is extremely interesting, regardless of the validity.

Cubism didn’t kick off until around 1910 +- a year or two. 
I doubt it could have spread to and influenced any of the Japanese arts that quickly especially the rather traditional tsuba schools and makers.  Personally I’ve never seen such influence.

The main European artistic shift that found its way into Japan was Art Deco although the more “realistic” Western painting perspectives did creep in a bit earlier.