Question about a sword for sale?

Logan09

HI

What do you think of this? He wants $600 for it. Do you think it would be worth it? He wont take the handle off to see if there's a signature(I should have told him he cant do anymore damage to it). Judging by all the rust, and looking at the 1st picture I can see how it got there(How he's holding it) I really want to get a nihonto. All I have is modern made swords. I actually really want to find a bad blade for cheap, and redo it. But all the "Un-educated"people on eBay bid $100's of dollars on a blade that shouldn't be worth more then $50.

Thanks..

-Logan-

sword5.jpg

sword4.jpg

sword3.jpg

sword2.jpg

sword1.jpg

Erm.... I'm not sure if people like to comment on the prices of other peoples' sales but I think (although please bare in mind that I'm a novice myself) you'll find that if you look around you can do better for your money. Many people would - wisely - advise you to wait and either save for something that can be properly appreciated or at least shop around and be patient. Even if your money's burning a hole you should still look around. A quick scan of flEabay reveals a papered blade, with not too much time left, at little more than your man's asking for his rusty thing and while I am NOT specifically saying you should go for that instead, you should know that there are and will continue to be better alternatives (if you just want to get your hands on something) than a "fixer-upper". You should also bear in mind that you won't be able to do it up yourself and to get something in that condition restored would cost you a lot more than you'll pay for the blade so my advice would be to forget about re-doing yourself.

It's also worth being aware that there aren't a lot of sleeping bargains to be had. In my experience (which is very limited) sellers generally know what they're selling (even or especially when they pretend not to) and there are many eyes watching the things that are worth watching. Still. There are nice things to be had and whatever does it for you is OK I guess. Just steer clear of the fixer uppers til you really know what you're doing (which I admit, I still don't). Hope that's useful.

Thanks for your replies. I definitely don't have $600 burning a hole in my pocket, but Its getting harder, and harder to find a sword for a good price. By the way he only says the total length of the blade is 36 1/2" so my guess is the blades roughly 27"-27 1/2". I already told him that I will probably pass on the blade, especially after he wont disassemble the tsuka to take a picture of the nakago. BTW The only way I would attempt to polish a nihonto is if I paid under $80 for it.

from a quick glance, this looks like a civilian Showato. these swords usually have a seki stamp on the nakago. As I have said, this is from a quick glance. If it is, a civilian showato, then it is worth the price. If on the other hand your looking for a traditionally made Japanese sword, I wouldn't bother.

buy it just to save it from rust, you not going to find another like it at that price. yes it has a good chance of seki stamp....also a chance its not. Keep us updated on this, it may be worth the gamble

edit to add

what do i base the chance on? the kissaki looks longer than standard showato

Hey guys,

Take a look at the placement of the mekugi-ana in the 1st picture; it seems a bit too far down the nakago to me. And if you follow that placement to the 2nd picture, is the other end of the mekugi under the menuki? Does anyone have an idea what the out of place dark line on the habaki in picture 2 is?

I agree that this looks like a civilian mounted gunto but these 2 details bug me a bit.

And let me add, without proper training you or anyone else shouldn't be polishing any true Nihonto, regardless what it cost you.

Grey

Hi Grey

is the dark line you mention in pic 2 ,not the shadow from the damged leather strap with the missing press stud ?

this sword looks like a semi civilian mounted gunto, with green ito which is not that common IMHO , as Stepen says it's worth a gamble for 600 dollars .

best of luck

ray

the dark line is shadow of the leather strap coming out of the tsuba, good eye on the hole....does seem strange to have it so close to the munuki. more gamble in the mix, older blade into civilian mounts for the war and they did not want to drill the nakago??? now i want to see more. lots of elbow grease choji oil and uchiko wont hurt it.

Woke up today, and it was gone. It was on eBay, and someone bought for his asking price. O well. I will keep looking. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure in the future I will post more swords. Also, as someone mentioned before I see a couple wakizashi's for around $1000, in good polish, w/ NBTHK papers. I think if I don't find anything I might go that route in the future. Even though there wakizashi's

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..