Show me your Sanmai tsuba

Dan tsuba

I just received this (what I consider). a beautiful sanmai tsuba!  Purchased from Japan for $63.00 U.S. (which included shipping!).  It makes a great addition to the collection!

Just wanted to share!  Show me yours, and let's have some fun!

With respect,

Dan

sanmai tsuba 1.png

sanmai tsuba 2.png

• Like 3

Here is an early one I think, I have submitted for NBTHK shinsa this year. The surface has a nice layer of black lacquer applied to it. The design is a plain textured surface with copper and lead inlays. The plate construction is made up of three layers with rim clover holding everything together very tightly.   

Tachikanaguchi Tsuba Omote copy LoRes.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 2

4 hours ago, Iekatsu said:

For the last two, do you have an images from an angle showing the plates in the Nakago or Hitsu-ana?

Unfortunately, I don't have the tsuba in hand or I would try to provide photos of inside surfaces of the nakago and hitsu-ana. I remember seeing a distinct three-layer construction to the plate. The texture you see was applied to the surface of both thinner outer most plates. All three plates (the two thinner outer and one thicker inner plate) are I think held together by the rim cover.  An interesting design to what I think is an older pre–Edo Period soft metal tsuba.       

Hello Peter, thanks for the additional photos. As I suspected, I don't think your Tsuba or David's Tsuba are San-mai, both are nice Ko-kinko Tsuba though. The area you have highlighted at the back of the Nakago-ana appears to just be minor delamination.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Iekatsu said:

Hello Peter, thanks for the additional photos. As I suspected, I don't think your Tsuba or David's Tsuba are San-mai, both are nice Ko-kinko Tsuba though. The area you have highlighted at the back of the Nakago-ana appears to just be minor delamination.

The more I study this Tsuba the more I think you are right...