Recent or not so much?!

7 hours ago, Matsunoki said:

Dunno. But this doesn’t look too good……

IMG_3849.jpeg

many old blades have it. I dislike that so many educational websites are gone and I also dislike that my memory forgot the term for that kizu..

j

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, NewB said:

many old blades have it.

That “flaw” is in the hamon (never good news) and looks like it could extend from the edge…..is it hagire?

Yes many old blades have flaws but this one looks nasty and is in just about the worst possible place.

if it is hagire it is fatal

HAGIRE are cracks going basically at a right angle in the edge. This looks more like a forging flaw, but more and better images would be needed to be sure.

In any case, the supplied picture is not enough to make a guess on the blade, I think. 

• Like 1

Hi Jean, not all hagire are at right angles.

Some time back a sword appeared on here for sale. It generated some controversy because it had a looping/curving hagire that someone had tried to cover up to facilitate a sale. 
I’ve also seen an angled hagire where water ingress into it had caused pitting along the length of it which if you didn’t look closely you could have mistaken it for a ware….except of course it was on both sides

Be interesting to see the other side on this one.

I guess there are no “absolutes” in this subject🙂

7 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Looks like a thin and narrow fukure.

Indeed

i think they have a term for one that has occurred during the lifetime of the blade and it’s an honorable sign that even it is a flaw it never turned to catastrophe (in a sense).

feel free to correct me

j

Guest Georgecar
In light of the recent passing of a renowned swordsmith, it is important for us to reflect on their contributions to the art of Japanese sword making. The legacy left behind by such individuals shapes the way we perceive and appreciate Nihonto today. How do you think the passing of a legend like this impacts the future of Japanese sword craftsmanship? Will their techniques and artistic vision continue to influence generations to come, or will their absence mark the end of an era in sword making? Let's honor their memory by discussing the impact of their work and the significance of their contributions to the world of Nihonto.

37 minutes ago, Georgecar said:

In light of the recent passing of a renowned swordsmith, it is important for us to reflect on their contributions to the art of Japanese sword making. The legacy left behind by such individuals shapes the way we perceive and appreciate Nihonto today. How do you think the passing of a legend like this impacts the future of Japanese sword craftsmanship? Will their techniques and artistic vision continue to influence generations to come, or will their absence mark the end of an era in sword making? Let's honor their memory by discussing the impact of their work and the significance of their contributions to the world of Nihonto.

@Georgecar

Sounds like a pretty specific topic that has little to do with this thread. I see you've posted a near identical paragraph on other threads. Right now, this is giving big "internet bot" vibes - no offense... 

If this is something you wish to discuss, I'd recommend starting your own forum topic and maybe naming who exactly you are referring to?

Cheers,
Sincerely,
-Sam

• Like 3

Good catch Sam, you think like I do. I don't even have to look at the stats of these members to know they are about to edit their posts to add spam links. It becomes second nature.
Gone.

• Love 1

The internet is a minefield; best to not let it distract from the blade in question

Luckily, we’ve got a  top-tier mod in Brian! 

Do you have more photos of this sword? Or was this from an internet post or listing? I’d love to see more  

All the best,

-Sam 

18 hours ago, GeorgeLuucas said:

Right now, this is giving big "internet bot" vibes - no offense

What do you guys think I was doing, I was setting a trap for him, then poof its gone. Used to be resident sniffer outer here, I pass the nose along to you Sam the man. :)

• Like 1

You guys are a bit help. Feel free to send reports when you see these posts that are clearly leading to spam.
Nowadays they pay humans to register and post this stuff, the anti-bot systems are good, so only humans get past it. This guy was from Romania.

• Thanks 1

Staying off topic (sorry) but can someone tell me what exactly the people that post these “spams” actually get out of it?

Yes, sorry (again🙂)…..I know I’m  tech stoneage but I’d like to understand.

They usually post something random...leave it up for a little bit, then go back and edit their post to add links to a commercial site. I don't think they expect sales or clicks, but the various web spiders like Google pick up those links and bump them up in the search engines. I think it's all about SEO and they get paid to do this.
But we're on top of it. This forum is heavily moderated and I chose this expensive software because of how many anti spam features it has.

• Like 2