Muneyuki Takada katana

hobnails

Hi guys thought I would share some pictures of my newly polished katana NBTHK has attributed it to Muneyuki Takada  any insight into what generation Muneyuki would be appreciated, link to when I first shared this katana before polish and shinsa .

IMG_6515.jpeg

IMG_6516.jpeg

IMG_6511.jpeg

IMG_6512.jpeg

IMG_6503.jpeg

IMG_6504.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Love 7
  • Wow 1

Hi if you click on the link it will show some pictures before it was polished although I think my photograph has improved since then  😆I bought the sword many years ago when i was living in the UK off a well known dealer who passed away last year Peter York.

IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.d37469ec91daa22397f55686603a9723.jpeg

• Like 2

Seems like a very nice sword, I am bit puzzled why it would be unsigned. I am not huge fan of extremely specific mumei attributions even though that is the Japanese style but I think it would identify this is above "general" Takada work of the period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's a beauty.

Looking at the dimensions, the long point, nakago and the hada, reminded me the type you see at the very end of the Muromachi. Its about that time you tend to come across more mumei.

The index says there were four generations from the end of the Muromachi onwards, plus another in the Edo period. (if i read it correctly)

Whatever the case, there's a lot to like about it

On 1/17/2024 at 12:55 PM, Jussi Ekholm said:

I am not huge fan of extremely specific mumei attributions even though that is the Japanese style…

Not trying to hijack, but my own personal opinion is that all mumei blades should be “Den” and then attribution.  But that’s me…

• Like 1

I agree with that, unless NBTHK are aware of a distinguishing feature that only applies to one smith. 

Just looking at another signd Bungo Muneyuki on Aoi (disclaimer i have not had time to look more into this smith in regards the school above and im not saying its the same smith lol), they give a date of Early Edo. They describe it as  "Hoshu Takada Ju Fujiwara Muneyuki is a work that is said to be a new ancient boundary that straddles Koto blade and Shinto swords" 

https://sword-auction.com/en/product/6392/as19653-刀:豊州高田住藤原統行/

The hada is a tight Ko-itame, the hada above does not look so tight, nakago jiri looks a bit different too.

The thing is though, just speculating without having an whole bunch of information on hand .

As said before, if NBTHK cant split it then we cant. You can trawl through books etc and come up with your own opinions (which may be reasonably accurate) but that's all you will ever have, this perfectly demonstrates the issue with mumei swords (and some signed)

Very nice sword, would just enjoy it and forget about trying to narrow it down, there wasn't that much time between those smiths anyways. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your thoughts two heads are better than one even if there both sheep heads as my Yorkshire nanna used to say😆

I have done a fair bit of online research and as of haven’t come to any firm conclusions more research is required but that is an enjoyable exercise . 
for those who would like to know Chris Bowen was the agent that my mate and I used  for the polish and shirasaya and  shinsa and we found him to be excellent to deal with hopefully my mate will post some pics of  his wakizashi I also sent a tanto I bought from Ray Singer during the start of Covid and will post some pictures when I have a spare moment. 
cheers

Chris H

• Like 2