Price advice

A collector out here has recently gone into aged care. Fortunately he has left descriptions of his swords for the family . I saw his son last week and looked at the swords . His son asked my opinion on prices which I tried to give . This is difficult as pieces in some auctions seem to sell for silly amounts whilst in other auctions they sell for very little . I hope to post a couple of pieces here and to compare what I thought they were worth to what other members here might think . 

The first is a Kai gunto with seki stamped blade by Kanenao . All in good condition with two really unusual features . The sarute has the wings motif which is only the second one that I have seen . The same on the saya has been lacquered black but never filled or polished back which is something that I have never seen before. . The notes are the owners. What do people think such a piece might be worth with a willing seller and a willing buyer ?

Ian Brooks

otto 1.jpg

otto 3.jpg

otto 2.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1950hoepfl.jpg

otto 4.jpg

• Like 2

In reality the price is going to what someone is willing to pay for each individual sword…there are going to be so many variables, local market conditions etc etc…also how you sell will make a difference….again depending on your local market or if your willing to take the risk of international postage etc.

It’s supply and demand rite large…so if you have only one person wanting to buy it..they go for as cheap as you are willing to sell..if a few people want it they will compete for the price.

The fittings look to be in good/great condition. I don't know anything about this sarute, but I'll assume it has some extra value to collectors due to the rarity. If there are numbers on the fittings, and they all match, that would be a big plus. The sword...need to see clearer pictures of course, but let's assume its a typical Seki sword in good-ish condition (I note the comment about the pitting, which is a slight worry). I agree with the owner's comment that the inscription is unique - I just did a quick search for "Magoroku-dō" but I couldn't find anything. Interestingly, I can find other vintage WW2 swords by Kanenao that have been registered and sold in Japan online (but with slightly different inscriptions). In general, I'd say a very clean set like this would be north of US$3000.

Detract points for scratches, pitting, and rust on the sword, fittings that are assembled from salvaged parts after the war, general deterioration in the scabbard (loose fittings, rust, etc.).  

• Like 1

Like the variations in the market, we see variations in opinions here.  My view of current kaigunto pricing is $1,800 - $2,000 USD.  They have fallen a bit since the COVID slump in the market.  Personally, I think a nice kaigunto shouldn't sell for less than $2,400 USD, but that's me.

The "airborne sarute" was heavily discussed on this thread:

I had one on a '39 Mantetsu, and it was quite worn.  Looked WWII authentic.  There are a few opinions about them, with nothing known factually.  Nick Komiya pointed out the bird would have been the Kite, which is seen on several military items.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for your comments . I said to the owner that if it was mine and I put it in an auction then I would be pretty disappointed if it only made $ 1500 AU and really happy if it got to $2500 AU . To some extent I based this on a Kai Gunto in the big Lloyds auction which sold for $3500 AU . That sword had a good old blade and superior mount on it and was, I thought,  a far more desirable piece than this . I was the underbidder . I also recall a nice Kai gunto with a Koto Sukesada blade that despite being a reasonable price sat in the for sale section here ,unloved for a long time . I might however be showing my bias towards old blades and my disdain of Showa To here . Steve's assessment might prompt the owner to test the waters on this site . I will post the other one soon.

Ian Brooks

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..