Quick Sanity Check re Shipping Tsuba from Japan to US

Hi!

Last week I purchased a tsuba online from a dealer in Tokyo. Now this dealer is insisting that there will be a 4+ week delay because he has to get authorization from Japanese Cultural Affairs before shipping the tsuba to me in the US. My understanding was that only Nihonto shipments needed permission from Cultural Affairs. I've bought 4 tsubas from Japan over the past year, and never had this issue come up. Has something changed, or is this more likely a miscommunication between me and the seller in Japan?

I guess what is confusing me is that I have bought numerous tsuba from Japan (including AOI Art) and never had a dealer say that it needed special permission from Cultural Affairs. I've also bought kogatana, kuzuko, fuchi etc. - some papered, some not - from reputable dealers in Japan, without the need for permission from Cultural Affairs. My understanding has been that Cultural Affairs had to be notified only for nihonto.

When I questioned the dealer about the need for special permission, he said that it only applied to EMS shipments, which seemed odd since all of my other tsuba were shipped by EMS without the need for any special permission. Then the next morning I got receipt that it had been shipped by UPS. Overall a puzzling transaction, causing me to challenge my prior understanding of what triggered notification to Cultural Affairs. 

1 hour ago, Vermithrax16 said:

Aoi art had a notification that export applications will be delayed substantially for the next 2 months. At least.

https://www.aoijapan.com/about-the-delay-of-export-permit/

That popped up the day after purchased a blade from them and then it shipped 20 days after which is the quickest they have ever shipped lol. Maybe the move had the opposite effect? I have never purchased tsuba from Japan so nothing to add on to that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeyJ said:

I guess what is confusing me is that I have bought numerous tsuba from Japan (including AOI Art) and never had a dealer say that it needed special permission from Cultural Affairs. I've also bought kogatana, kuzuko, fuchi etc. - some papered, some not - from reputable dealers in Japan, without the need for permission from Cultural Affairs. My understanding has been that Cultural Affairs had to be notified only for nihonto.

When I questioned the dealer about the need for special permission, he said that it only applied to EMS shipments, which seemed odd since all of my other tsuba were shipped by EMS without the need for any special permission. Then the next morning I got receipt that it had been shipped by UPS. Overall a puzzling transaction, causing me to challenge my prior understanding of what triggered notification to Cultural Affairs. 

Just about everything I have bought in the last 2 years has required an export filing before shipping. It might be price dependent perhaps? Over $2000 maybe. Would have to look into it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Curran said:

If above 200,000 yen and a by-the-book dealer,

then there is paperwork to be filed.

Some dealers will simply declare it as sub 200,000 yen.

That may explain it, the cost was 200,000 yen, plus shipping. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dimitri said:
In March I bought a wakizashi in Japan, it took a month and a half to leave, well after that I don't know what happened with French customs but that's another story but it stayed there a long time for exit papers.

When my family moved from the US to France in the mid 1970s my parents let me pack a small chest of my favorite toys. Like most little American boys in that era, some of my favorite toys were toy guns made of plastic. French Customs confiscated them all, and I never got them back.

• Sad 3

15 hours ago, Vermithrax16 said:

Just about everything I have bought in the last 2 years has required an export filing before shipping. It might be price dependent perhaps? Over $2000 maybe. Would have to look into it.

Just recently had to fill out a I.D questionnaire for a dealer saying Cultural Affairs wanted to know who the products were being sold to.

9 hours ago, MikeyJ said:

That may explain it, the cost was 200,000 yen, plus shipping. 

*sigh*   200,000 yen exactly?

I almost want to ask the dealer's name. Almost.

Couldn't give you a 100 yen discount and avoid himself the pain in the neck?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..