Zero-sen Koshirae ?

dwmc

I recently shared a WWll Gunto in which I eventually came to the conclusion it was most likely a late war sword using sparse components available at the time and was used very little if at all in combat due to its exceptional condition.

This however, is not the reason for this topic. I failed to mention in the previous thread my sword was listed as a long wakizashi 22" in (Zerosen koshirae.) My question is, what exactly is meant by Zero-sen koshirae ? I've noticed only a couple times in the past this type koshirae description used, and also like the sword I purchased had a buckle type fastener through the tusba, rather than the more traditional button snap.

Is this a term (Zero-sen) used for possibly a crew sword, pilot sword???

Any information appreciated.

Dave M.20230104_113535.thumb.jpg.422821559cf2ab2b759a407b6901ba9c.jpg

30 minutes ago, Bruce Pennington said:

So, sounds like whomever used the term was trying to call it a pilot sword without using the words "pilot sword", probably because they know from our multiple discussions on the topic, and a dedicated thread, that such an animal didn't exist.

Quite possibly Bruce or maybe just to confuse guys like me. The odd thing about this term was both swords where listed in Japan and both had the buckle attachment. One of the desciptions actually referred to sword as crew gunto type. Apparently the term originated with Japan seller or sellers. Another odd one...  Dave M.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Bruce Pennington said:

So, sounds like whomever used the term was trying to call it a pilot sword without using the words "pilot sword", probably because they know from our multiple discussions on the topic, and a dedicated thread, that such an animal didn't exist.

Probably something I should have done in the first place, however I'll recontact the seller and inquire as to the reason for using an abbreviated airplane term in reference to a Gunto koshirae. Hopefully he will provide an explanation as to his logic, could be interesting. I'll post an update... 

On 2/7/2023 at 5:12 AM, dwmc said:

Probably something I should have done in the first place, however I'll recontact the seller and inquire as to the reason for using an abbreviated airplane term in reference to a Gunto koshirae. Hopefully he will provide an explanation as to his logic, could be interesting. I'll post an update... 

I received a reply from the seller in Japan. He indicated the sword was actually (Sensya-tai) wwll tank corp. I would like to have known if he got this information from a direct relative of the original (Sensya-tai) soldier. He didn't have or offer further information beyond what I suspect he had been told by the individual he purchased the sword from and didn't indicate if the person was or wasn't a relative with firsthand knowledge.

I guess as with many of the wwll Shin-gunto swords there will always be an unknown element attached. We can either believe what little information may be available or reject it entirely. 

Appreciate the interest and comments,

Dave M.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

There was a 'Ha-Go' on display at the AWM, it was a light tank (or tankette). Not much room for a sword in that thing, unless it was carried outside the tank.

Obviously it was just mounted to the front to slice and dice anyone who got to close 

• Haha 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..