Growing Library

I’ve also added Kantei Reference Book - Hamon & Boshi, Shinshinto-shi and koto Kantei by Markus Sesko. Ebook versions of course since less book wear, trees felled, and they’re well priced.

I’ve also got Fuller and Gregory and want a copy of Swords of Imperial Japan , 1868 - 1945 when I can find it cheaply priced since I’ve been collecting gunto or guntofide swords as of late.

• Like 1

Hi Charles, I think you have a pretty good set of books there...all/most of the necessary English language books we all refer to.

Of course, always keep your eye out for more/new ones, but I think that (without knowledge of Japanese and ability to read Japanese) you have a good coverage there....and of course...you can always ask questions on NMB!!

All good,

Regards.

• Like 1

Grey asks the right question, Charles. Where are you heading? You seem to be getting ready to ask for - and then get - at least preliminarily assessed blades. It is possible that you will come across unassessed swords that you will have to "figure out". For that you will need to ask and answer questions about signatures, dates, and fittings. A set of flash cards will help, and I think it is worth having both - dare I say it - Yumoto and Robinson.

Peter

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 10:15 AM, Grey Doffin said:

Hi Charles,

Please tell us what you want to learn from the books and we can do a better job of recommending titles. Are you interested in blades or fittings, Nihonto in general or a specific time or school.

Grey

Hello Grey,

I am very new to the hobby, and currently only have a very small collection comprised of three Nihonto (one katana, and two sunnobi tanto) and one gunto. I also have a few tsuba. I am interested in Nihonto in general. I hope to collect more in the future, but as I am approaching retirement, my funds for future purchases may be very limited. I want to make sure that I get quality pieces for my collection. 

Thanks for your input!

On 7/3/2022 at 12:36 PM, Peter Bleed said:

A set of flash cards will help, and I think it is worth having both - dare I say it - Yumoto and Robinson.

Peter,

I would like to learn more about kanji. Where is a good source for these flashcards? I am located in Ontario, Canada.

Thanks!

Hi Charles,

You have already good books for basics and appreciation. If you're looking for a book of oshigata to authenticate signatures, the best bang for the buck is probably Fujishiro's Nihon Toko Jiten:

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b738-nihon-toko-jiten-fujishiro

If you'd like pictures of great pieces with scholarship added, you could do a lot worse than Art of the Samurai by The Metropolitan Museum:

https://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b475-art-samurai-metropolitan-museum

There are so many fine books on tsuba and kodogu, it is hard to pick just one. You can browse my website books and if you see something that looks interesting feel free to ask questions.

Cheers, Grey

• Like 1

And don’t forget, libraries also may have some good sources and they can transfer books inter-library. Usually colleges and universities tend to have good books. You don’t get to keep them, but can always extend your check-out. 

I found the MET book Grey mentioned in the Lone Star college system, here in the Houston area. Great piece. 

Hey all question. 

I'm looking to get either yuri endos book or koto kantei by Marcus. Also I don't have seskos encyclopedia yet. I have most other books. 

My question is which of the above books deals more with the Koto era smiths and swords ? I'm guessing koto kantei, which yuri endos book looks more  like an introduction book to general collecting.?

Thanks 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..