Swords with names

Tengu1957

Samurai sometimes named their swords , the most interesting name I have seen was "the nasty lady" ! 

Here are 3 I have:

1. Koto Katana attribution to Shimada Hirosuke 72.4 cm . Name given "Sasa no Tsuyu" cuts like dew falling from a Bamboo leaf.

2. Koto Katana attribution to Bizen Den circa 1500. 75.3 cm it's also a Tameshigiri but the sword is named "Shikainami" it means the waves of the 4 seas , it references a line in the No play Takasago regarding harmony.

3. Katana signed Kashu ju Fujiwara Nagatsugu 63.9 cm sayagaki by Sato Kanzan.

Sword is named "kago Tsurube" it means a woven bamboo basket - it implies it cuts as easily as water running out of a woven bamboo basket.

FB_IMG_1649447327559.jpg

FB_IMG_1649447280622.jpg

FB_IMG_1649447612816.jpg

FB_IMG_1649447908205.jpg

FB_IMG_1649447677121.jpg

FB_IMG_1649447916592.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow 1

13 minutes ago, b.hennick said:

I had a Shodai Hizen Kunihiro that had on the ura the character Yoshi. So the sword was "lucky".

Hey Barry, I bought Wak from you many moons ago at the SF sword show, full horse them koshirae. Has a dragon painted on the Saya. Paid American Cash. You told me it was your sisters. 

You looked the same as in your photo. I guess you found the fountain of youth. :) 

Hello Bruce,

Yes they are both from the same cutter, Yamada Kanjūrō Yasuhisa.

The first name, "Yasuhisa", is the name he used early in his career. He changed his name several times. The name he used in the latter part of his career is "Hisahide". 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..