Small hole on tsuba?

Probably a spot where a bit of metallic or enamel inlay was and has since fallen out. Or could be recent and done by someone who had no idea what they were doing (trying to make a necklace and discovering the metal is harder than they thought or something like that).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChrisW said:

Probably a spot where a bit of metallic or enamel inlay was and has since fallen out. Or could be recent and done by someone who had no idea what they were doing (trying to make a necklace and discovering the metal is harder than they thought or something like that).

It can't be recent. But yes I guess something was in there and fallen out..I hope it wasn't diamond and hope it wasn't me who made it fall :) 

5 hours ago, Okan said:

I hope it wasn't diamond and hope it wasn't me who made it fall

I am no follower of Tsuba or civil fittings, but I have to say I have never seen an actual jewel on sword fittings. My dad’s Mantetsu was missing several parts, that were stolen in his time in the Marines. He always said that he believed someone stole the metal parts thinking that there were jewels to be found. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..