Florida Token Kai show Feb. 13-15

I am just about to pack up for the Tampa sword show. There is always something interesting to buy at the show. I am taking my usual assortment of fittings and blades as well as a few books. Since money is tight I expect to see both more trading than usual and lower prices as well. I will certainly set mine at their lowest levels. Please drop by and say hello. It is nice to put faces to names. I expect many on the messageboard to attend.

Here is the report that I wrote for the JSSUS Newsletter.

Florida Token Kai Show Report by Barry Hennick

Slow – there were fewer vendors than usual, fewer buyers than usual and fewer sales than usual. This is what I would call a slow show. It was an opportunity to chat with friends from far and wide (except the usual crew from England and Japan did not attend).

The program offered by the Token Kai was very good. On Friday there was an iaido demonstration and a lecture on jutte – devices police officers used to defend against swords. The jutte is basically and iron bar with a hook. Saturday had a sword care and etiquette lecture by Grey Doffin representing the JSSUS. Three board meetings – NBTHK/AB, Florida Token Kai and JSSUS Board of directors all met Saturday. One of the best presentations was given by Ted Tenold and Keith Larman on blade construction. It was amazing to see polished cross sections of blades showing how they were assembled. Keith’s photographs enhanced the presentation greatly. The NBTHK/AB kantei session had a Juyo Bijitsu Hin Den Rai Kunitoshi, a Tokubetsu Juyo Token Nakahara Kunimune, a Tokubetsu Juyo Token Shizu Saburo Kaneuji, and a juyo Tametsugu. Thanks go out to those who lent their blades to hands on study. Bill Miller had a display of Satsuma blades and yari – all in polish for people to oogle.

The Saturday night auction was light on items and purchasers. Some of us did well at the auction while others continued their banter in the “sales room”. A lot of trading went on. It seemed to me that people were doing trades just to go home with new things. I certainly did some trades so that the other person could have a new treasure while I took on some lesser goods that had an equal or slightly higher value when grouped. A friend got what I think was the best deal at the show. He bought a juyo Kaneuji tanto with great koshirae at a great price. The oldest blade that I saw was a Heian tachi by Bungo Yukihira.You do not get to see many 1000 year old swords! This one had what I thought was a bad kizu but a friend pointed out that this smith usually carved a dragon on one side of the blade. A closer examination with the thought of a dragon in mind made that horimono come to life and kizu fade. I also was impressed by a juyo Kanenaga and a Senjuin ken in wonderful condition. A Gassan Sadakazu tanto with ayasugi hada was also a great blade. A complete set of kinko fittings for a tanto koshirae were wonderful. No papers, no shinsa opinions and $45k asking price remained unsold and returned to Japan. A tsuba collector of note had 525 tsuba for sale to be sold as a group. Along with the tsuba there was a set of photographs and descriptions organized by school. The per tsuba price is low but the numbers high. I hope that this collection will find a good home or homes.

As a learning experience you cannot beat sword shows. There are blades to handle books to buy people to meet and opinions on anything and everything available.

Weather and Beaches no none of that - tables, greasy food, good conversation boredom at times. It would have not hurt my earnings one bit to spend a few hours at the pool. Some might not be happy with me away from my table sooo much. I do go to Board Meetings and Educational events. No tan for me but then again no snow either (that is good for a Canadian in February!) :D

I knew I should have taken a camera...

The show was fun as a vendor. But, it probably would have been even better as a spectator, because I would have been able to check things out more. I did get a chance to see some great pieces including a Sa tanto, Juto Tametsugu, Juto Rai Kunitoshi. I also got a chance to see the Bitchu Tameie Wak on Darcy's site: http://www.nihonto.ca/tameie/index.html; an awe inspiring piece. The Tametsugu was my personal favorite though. Of course, I did not get a chance to see the Kaneuji Daito in the NBTHK meeting. I heard it looked like a Massamune.

Overall, I am happy that I went. It was a good time and it was nice to see friends.

Jon

• 13 years later...

I need some help in the Japanese sword community. I’m in the Richmond Virginia area. My grandfather was in World War II brought over two Japanese swords so I have recently come across them. I do not know what I have. One has an ivory handle That is intricately carved. The other sword is planer, and the sheath which is metal has bullet damage. The sword will not come out of the metal sheath, and it is rusted from appearances. These have been in my family’s possession since he came back from serving. As a side note he was one of carlsons raiders. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..