Sharp eyes spot top blade at Grantham auction

Dear All.

We discussed this one some time ago, personally I do not think this is likely to get an attribution to Umetada but the extravagant koshirae and the gilt horimono puts it into the art metalwork market, outside of the sword market, hence the big bucks.

All the best.

• Like 1

Hi Robert.

I don't think it's an out and out fake but I have my doubts about the mei being verified.  From memory there are two other very similar examples recorded, one was in a catalogue from a London dealer some years ago, one in the Hartman collection.  Each is slightly different but all are of the dragon entwined around a flute and the mounts are very high quality metalwork, hence my suggestion that they fall into a category that is different from most swords.  I think they appeal to a market which is much more interested in the quality of the decorative art object than the veracity of the mei of a sword.  Certainly the London catalogue was of masterpieces of Meiji metalwork and included some fantastic creations in bronze, some Komai and so forth.

All the best.

Geraint,  I too remember another where the flute was a dark bronze and the dragon in silver but who had it I cannot remember. It was a very long while ago that is for sure.  These items are undoubtedly fantastic metalwork, but designed as a novelty to appeal to the Western market.

Ian Bottomley

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..