A winter journey to Japan

I do think it was/is bit unfortunate stumble by Paul who has done lots of good stuff over the years for replica collecting community with SBG. Lots of misinformation in there and I do genuinely think that his business partners in this "Blades of Japan" thing might have told him some half truths etc. duped him a bit. I tried to correct him on the info regarding the Kanemitsu tanto, that it is not THE Kanemitsu on the SBG thread. I do believe he could connect martial artists to Japanese craftsmen / 2nd hand modern martial arts swords from Japan. Unfortunately most of the stuff they have are Old NBTHK papered stuff or JTK papered stuff, and well I do think the associates in Japan have their hands on that...

Not wanting to throw Paul under the bus but I cannot really accept that venture of selling those blades to collecting newbies. I did point out the affordable second hand martial art sword route as more legitimate option several times but I know the markup in there is small.

• Like 5

As a former surfboard hand shaper, i remember when shaping machines using CNC started taking over the main market; i hope that this is not the beginning of the same thing for swords....the art and craft of both fields is exacting and physically demanding, and it would be a shame for machines to take over and lose the soul.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..