First Purchase - Expert Input Needed.

Greetings gentlemen (and women?),

I am brand new to this forum so I spent a couple days reading and browsing throughout before posting, I hope to avoid any breaches in board etiquette. 

A couple weeks ago I purchased an "unknown brand sword," on an online auction site (not ebay) after much research and soul-searching.  I paid for the sword with Paypal, so I am not too worried about its authenticity, due to their fraud protection feature.  Upon receiving the item and doing even more research, I've come to believe what I bought was an authentic WWII sword (or a good copy) but I would love to get your collective input.  My purchase came on the heels of your recent convention in Chicago, which is just 100 miles north of me, so I couldn't get the blade authenticated there.  I found a flyer from the show in Chicago and emailed Mark Jones of Asian Art and Antiques of Maumee, OH, and he replied with a link to the board and Brian's name.  I appreciate the time and devotion you all have for these amazing pieces of history and hope to learn much from my time spent here. 

Anyway, here are a few pictures:
This is the condition the sword was in when I received it; I have not attempted to clean anything, I only removed the tsuka, and only after research and careful coaxing.
Thank you all for your help in advance.

Troy H.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/troyez/library/Nihonto?sort=3&page=1

For reference - the sword is 35 inches overall, and the cutting edge is 24 inches (not including the habaki).

Troy

I am sorry but I do not believe you have bought either a WWII blade or a "good copy". While there are no details visible on the blade itself to indicate what it is the shape and condition of the nakago suggest it is either a very poor Chinese copy or an amateurs atempt to make a sword. Looking at the fittings I am inclined to think the latter as some of the components in the hilt may be genuine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and this only my opinion others may feel it is something different. To help in your rsearch there are plenty of examples here of both authentic WWII blades and earlier Nihon-to you can use for comparison, there are also a lot of images of Chinese fakes which regrettably are all too common and often bought by enthusiastic buyers as frst purchases.

Best Regards

Paul

• Like 1

Troy,

many of us started with a disappointment, but maybe you can return the sword and not loose too much money. As Paul said, it is very clearly a fake. Having studied the originals for a while (NMB offers a wealth of good information), you will be able to see what is genuine and collectable. 

Unfortunately, this one is not.

• Like 1

Hi Troy, I think Pauls comments are spot on. There looks like some genuine fittings have been used on a very poorly made blade, either Chinese or Indian.

If you have read previous posts on other beginners swords, the same advice will apply, the best "first" dollars you can spend is to buy DAWSONS book. You will see what to look for if you decide to further your collecting and study of Japanese military swords. Neil.

• Like 1

Hello Troy:

I really appreciated your initial post and the careful way you are taking first steps. This swamp like most is undrained and watching your step is important but not always enough. Contacting Mark was a smart move and the follow up via Brian as well.

Lots of well meaning an helpful information can be found here, and clearly another sword show is in order. While quite a way from where you live there will be a show in Orlando, Florida the 16th through 18th of June. Take a look at www.japaneseswordshow.com/orlando for more information. There will be lots of things to see and much to learn from.

Good hunting,

Arnold F.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your prompt input, I've already requested a refund.  Neil, you mentioned Dawson's book, what's the title?  Is it Swords of Imperial Japan? 

Thanks to everyone.

Troy H.

P.S. I've also renamed the photobucket folder to "fake sword."

Hi Troy,

Dawson's book is Swords of Imperial Japan but there are 2 editions of the book and you want the 2nd: The Cyclopedia Edition.  The best book on Japanese Military swords.  Here it is on my site; you can see what it looks like.

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b510-swords-imperial-Japan-1868-%E2%80%93-1945-cyclopedia-edition

Grey

Dawson's book

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b510-swords-imperial-Japan-1868-%E2%80%93-1945-cyclopedia-editionPresentation

Grey is a great guy to deal with, he has plenty of other helpful books and if you come to the Chicago Show next year you can attend his that covers etiquette and handling of Japanese swords and is  great for  beginners

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..