Kanji Iron Tsuba, Deciphered Some

Gasam

Hi all,

Not at all a tsuba expert, but thought I might get a few to study. Might bid on this one, even if a rusty old thing.

Deciphered the ura side of this tsuba, fairly certain. But the inscription to the right of the nakago-ana on the omote side eludes me a bit...

I know it is my inexperience in deciphering kanji that does this, but I cannot for the life of me find matching kanji (to my eyes at least) on the tsuba kanji pages. (not to mention the time spent tearing out hair until I realised images was mirrored, haha!).

At any rate: ura side has aoi mon and kanji yasu tsugu ( fairly certain about this).

Omote side is a bit of a mystery for me.

There were a line of sword makers named yasutsugu who also were allowed to use the aoi mon on the nakago of their swords, but signature differs quite a bit from theirs I think. Also, shouldnt the mei be besides the nakago-ana and not on towards the edge on the ura side...

post-2939-0-34311800-1451974703_thumb.jpg

post-2939-0-89435700-1451974717_thumb.png

post-2939-0-42864300-1451974734_thumb.jpg

I wonder why Yasutsugu, 康継 ? Has this something to do with THE Yasutsugu swordsmith of Hollyhock mon fame, as seen on that side of the tsuba, in admiration for or homage to?  Not a mei as such. but, an honourific naming. John

Seeing this mei I wonder if the maker was the same artisan who made a kogatana in an en suite wakizashi koshirae I have.  The tosogu are mumei Yoshioka late Edo, so it seems reasonable to presume the kogatana was made about the same time.  Any information on the smith welcome.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

post-671-0-16038400-1453169493_thumb.jpg

Seeing this mei I wonder if the maker was the same artisan who made a kogatana in an en suite wakizashi koshirae I have.  The tosogu are mumei Yoshioka late Edo, so it seems reasonable to presume the kogatana was made about the same time.  Any information on the smith welcome.

Bestests,

BaZZa.

Hi,

This nice article has tons of info about the Yasutsugu school of swordmakers, complete with signature references for different generations etc. A very nicely done piece of research this , imo.

http://www.nihonto.com/abtartyasutsugu.html

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again,

Mr Paul Martin has an interesting theory about the yasutsugu kanji and aoi mon, and I quote with his kind permission:

"Given my experience with Japanese craftsmen, I am wondering if it is possible that a generation of the Yasutsugu school provided an iron blank tsuba for the artisan to carve. Just a thought."

This makes sense to me. Swordsmith supplying high quality iron blank for tsuba artist. In such a situation, you might want to "brand" the tsuba as it were on the back side, if you have a reputation for high quality iron works or such...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Heyas,

Updte for those interested: this tsuba was able to pass NBTHK Hozon shinsa. It was not submitted for TH.

Papers are pending and it will be interesting to see exactly what they say :-) Thanks to all who helped above.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..