Kozuka inscription Japanese?

Millsman

Interesting that the mystery continues. The inscription is so well done that I believe it to be real not just some meaningless scribble. The name on the blade is Yamashiro no Kami Nobutoshi which I am sure will be no help but if someone recognizes him and can tell me anything about him I would appreciate. Thanks

On another forum I posted this too I am informed this is Hentaigana a former unstandardised form of what's today Hiragana.

Now all I need is to be pointed to a person, institution, museum, university department, etc. that can translate.

Appreciate all the responses. If anyone can translate any of the words perhaps someone else might be able to fill in the ones they miss. Anything is better than nothing. I am aware that placement of the character or symbol may determine either its meaning or the meaning of the word preceding or following. Even a partial translation "may" give some indication of the message/song/poem. I have a small collection but have not seen an inscription on any kozuka before,any other known examples?Many thanks.

post-4942-14196931247051_thumb.jpgpost-4942-14196931250565_thumb.jpg

Greetings gentlemen,

as for other examples, here are two with what also appears to be some kind of chinese poem, neither of them has been translated so far... :dunno:

It seems that the problem here is also in the subject of knowing the poems exact meaning.

On the first one, the poem is on the reverse side, the other one includes the gold inlayed poem as part of its primary design (although some gold is missing..)

I hope you can enjoy these and maybe there is a chance of deciphering at least part of it :D

if needed or just for enjoyment i can search for more and better pictures.

thank you all!

post-4942-14196931472944_thumb.jpg

thank you very much morita san!

that is greatly appreciated! i have added the obverse side of the kozuka with the drunk poet :beer:

i was aware that it is inscribed Naoyuki from the hamano school... but shoshin mei... :dunno:

there is also some kanji on the front, first i thought a kind of age or nengo but it seems more like a measurement as i think i can see go shaku? roku shaku ? sen ? jo yama

but that make no sense either :freak:

anyway thanks alot for your help :bowdown:

Greetings

post-4942-14196931477467_thumb.jpg

At first I could not read the whole writing. However, based on fragmentary hints, I found that the poem was composed by Taira no Tadanori (平忠度) in "The Tale of the Heike (平家物語)".

The writing may be;

旅宿

行暮て木の下影を宿とせハ - (ゆきくれて こ(き)のしたかげを やどとせば)

花やこよひの あるし(主)ならまし - (はなや こよいの あるじならまし)

Had not reached the destination before dark, Let me stay under a cherry tree,

Blossoms would host me like a one night guest.

Ref. http://blog.livedoor.jp/sword_bridge/ar ... 03-23.html

Wow...incredible work from both of you again. Morita san can translate writing that most Japanese can't even read, and Moriyama san conveys that beautifully into English that conveys the meaning, tone and flow so perfectly.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

We are blessed with access to such knowledge and abilities. :bowdown:

Brian

Thank you Moriyama san. 

Also you challenge to English translation of the first Kyoka Kozuka of this thread.

Probably not 100-Kan but 100-Mom.

(東育ち)は鰹と人に係かっていて、田舎者の意味もあります。

また、(はな)は、花つまり女、または初め、最初という意味もあります。

(一本強い)とはマラの事かもしれません。

その上で、最初の狂歌の意味は:

江戸の人々は大金を払ってでも初鰹を好みますが、

男気ある、ある田舎者の男は、その日の初客として夜鷹(?)などに奮発して百文支払った。

と解釈したい。どちらも初物ですね。

しかし、解釈が難しい狂歌だと思います。この文章は翻訳しなくてもけっこうです。 :D

Li Bai

This is the original poem about Li Bai (one of the Eight Immortals of the Wine Cup) written by Du Fu, quite comical one drunk poet writing about another :lol:

李白一斗诗百篇,

长安市上酒家眠,

天子呼来不上船,

自称臣是酒中仙。

With the great help of Morita san who was able to decipher all characters, I have a try translating the kyoka poem on the first kozuka.

I think it is a little suggestive and degorative but charming to describe a man from Edo. My translation is not literal but tries to keep as much of the literal content as possible.

Otokogi no, azuma-sodachi no, hatsugatsuo

ippon-tsuyoi, hana hyakkan.

"Chivalrous are those grown up in the East, but just like they are famous for their love of the first bonito

(i.e. the love for the very first products of each season), so they like their women (i.e. plenty and best as virgins)."

Morita and Moriyama san, please correct me if I am wrong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..