Gunto with Surrender Tag

dnmmilo

Thank you, I have another question; was the title 'Paymaster Captain' a specific rank like 'Quartermaster' or 'Adjutant' in the British and Australian Army or was it an appointment i.e. Captain Hama was the officer in charge of pay and administration for a specific unit? Cheers David

Ha...Paymaster Captain...thanks Nobody sensei...I thought it was his personal name as it is given as Kazue in O'Neill's 'Japanese Names' but obviously that "just didn't add up" :rotfl: (sorry, I shouldn't laugh at my own jokes).

I wouldn't read too much into "paymaster" David. Every regiment or such would have a HQ section to handle all that stuff...he was probably just one of these.

Regards,

Hello All, I have been a watcher on this chat line for some time now but I would like to post another possibility for surrender tags. A Elderly Japanese friend once told me that some officers attached surrender tags because they were fearful they would be treated badly, like the way Japanese treated defeated allied forces, and so they would be lost to their family. The surrender tag was a way for the officer to list his name and where he surrendered, via the sword. Charlie Heesh

FWIW I have been told by old soldiers that in the Japanese forces had to attend to a number of things before the surrender ceremonies were held in the field. One was "to ensure the officer name, rank, unit details (and I was told) their address was attached to their swords so that they may be returned after the war"...of course, this was a con job, but it made the fiery types less likely to resist/refuse to surrender.

Regards,

Might as well give David some publicity then...

http://www.anzacblade.com.au/

David..no rules about having to declare a commercial motive to posts...but some guys do obviously prefer to know about it beforehand. It can sometimes mean the difference between how urgent they treat an enquiry, and how much time they devote to it.

I don't hold it against anyone, this is a free forum. But we do encourage people to specify if they are using the info for a sale. No harm my side, but another huge thanks to those that assisted would be nice. :)

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..