Japanese Swords of the Bizen Tradition available for all...

Darcy

Yay!

Done. Finally.

If you want to order a copy:

http://www.nihonto.ca/bizen-to/

My website is kind of wonky right now, so if you're having problems connecting, try going directly to the store at Lulu.com:

http://stores.lulu.com/nihonto/

If you click on the book title, you'll hit a specific page for the book, and there is a link that lets you preview the first several pages.

I should break even somewhere around the 800th purchase so GET CLICKING :-(.

Darcy

Congratulations to you and Bob on you endeavour, I hope it sells really well.

Is there any chance of a signed copy :) , I haven’t got a signed first issue that could be worth loadsa money some time in the future. You never know I could make enough money to buy a really good sword. ;)

Deron: I'd like to make a hardcover, but the problem is getting the large page size that I want for the photos. The photos are life sized, so that makes it a problem to fit. The printed size of a photo is 10x7.3 inches, and it's too big for a "standard" hardcover with cover size US letter (the page sizes on such a book are smaller than the cover). The coil and perfect bound options allow me to use the bigger page size.

If I was not going print on demand, I'd have more flexibility to state what I wanted... but I don't want to be involved in ordering a thousand books then shipping them out myself over 2 years :(.

I hold out hope I'll have more print on demand options as time goes by and can offer a hardcover option.

I never see your copy so can't sign it!

Better not let anyone know if you are attending any sword shows over the next few months. They will have you sitting at a table with a large sign behind you saying "Darcy Brockbank Book Signing" and people will line up with their copies :D :D

Mine should be here shortly. I'm guessing the "perfect bound" afterthought is an overwhelming preference so far?

Brian

Deron: I'd like to make a hardcover, but the problem is getting the large page size that I want for the photos. The photos are life sized, so that makes it a problem to fit. The printed size of a photo is 10x7.3 inches, and it's too big for a "standard" hardcover with cover size US letter (the page sizes on such a book are smaller than the cover). The coil and perfect bound options allow me to use the bigger page size.

If I was not going print on demand, I'd have more flexibility to state what I wanted... but I don't want to be involved in ordering a thousand books then shipping them out myself over 2 years :(.

I hold out hope I'll have more print on demand options as time goes by and can offer a hardcover option.

Hi Darcy,

Yes. I ran into that problem myself a little while back. Send me a private email if you like. I have a POD printer that may be able to do what you want, and you won't have to buy 1000 copies and ship yourself.

Deron

Got my copies today (one perfect bound, and one ring bound)

One will be a prize in the (eventual) upcomming lottery.

Looks great. A really worthwhile purchase. Haven't had enough time to really go though it, but what I have seen looks very professional and the photography is stunning.

Well done Darcy and Bob...a tremendous project that should belong in every Nihonto library.

Will update more as I go through it.

Brian

About the ordering process...

When you order the book, it takes my digital version and sends it to their print/construction queue. So it gets in line behind whatever else is in line at the moment. This usually takes around 4 days. After this, it gets printed, and then put into distribution where it gets mailed or couriered out to you.

I have only ever ordered mine express and don't know if that allows the print to bump the queue. They arrive via UPS when sent express. So I don't know if the process of fulfillment is a bit longer when shipping non-express.

Lulu support is pretty good so if you have questions, just hit the website and ask for Live Support, it's usually there on the left side in normal Eastern Standard business hours. Takes no more than a minute usually before a support staffer is there to talk to you.

I received mine just the other day. I must say it is awsome! I highly recommend it. I have to admit that I do like the spiral bound more as it is easier to hold and use for studying as Darcy has mentioned.

Now I am really looking forward to the rest of the series. You can count me in for 2 of each :D

Thanks again Darcy for your effort and hard work in sharing your weath of knowledge. Bob Benson deserves a nod here too!

Thanks again,

Leroy

just received my copy today. It got to me in less then a week.

Arrived in perfect condition to boot.

Excellent quality content and print.

my hat off to everyone involved. Thank you for making this available.

can't wait til the next volume!

warning to Mr. Benson/Brockbank... If you see a crazy looking asian guy at the SF token-kai chasing you down screaming "sign my book please!"... um...that be me... :D

I received my copy of Japanese Swords of the Bizen Tradition today.

Darcy and Bob - great book up to page 18.

After page 18, I have pages from another book called 'The Party Pups #2 Hairy Christmas'. Looks like a childrens cartoon book. Might be an interesting read :D

Have contacted Lulu about the error. Will let you know how I go.

Regards

Justin

It is pretty funny.

It's beautifully bound and looks great, until you reach page 18, then everything changes.

Darcy - please let me know if you would like me to send it on as a souvenir.

Regards

Justin

Sorry..but that is pretty funny :D

I am sure Lulu will correct it. So they are trying to introduce the younger generation to Nihonto? Very sneaky! :lol:

Yeah, that is funny. So, I'm guessing that there's a "Party Pups" book that morphs into Nihonto on page 19...........at which point they get a bedtime story starts with Darcy's commentary and goes right into Ko-Bizen Masatsune. Yeah ! Bring 'em up right!! :-)

On the other hand some poor devestated child may never know what happens in the end of that "Hairy Christmas"! *sniff, sniff* :-)

Hehe, that's pretty funny. Lulu may want it back to figure out what went wrong during printing. I guess not all bugs are out of their system. After you get your replacement, sure I'd love to have it... you can snail mail it to me. Just let me know when you get your replacement...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..