Koa Isshin Mantetsu Saku Vs Mantetsu Kitae Tsukuru Kore

Hello Everyone,

Is there much of a difference between Koa Isshin Mantetsu Saku vs Mantetsu Kitae Tsukuru Kore blade dated 1943 in similar condition?

I heard Koa Isshin Mantetsu Saku is more desirable.

If so, why?

Thank you,

Greg

Greg,

I'm not familiar with a Mantetsu blade marked "Mantetsu Kitae Tsukuru Kore".  Do you have an example?

I have read that Mantetsu's not labeled "Koa Issin" were made in Tokyo, but I don't know that for a fact.  Like Ohmura-san said at the end of the article posted by Dave, he didn't know the difference in quality of the 3 types, so I don't know how one would value one over the other.  Personally, I like the ones with the slogan, but that's a personal preference and no statement about quality.  My gut tells me any blade made by Mantetsu is a high quality blade.  There was a wait-list of officers wanting these blades.

From what I have been able to make out, "Koa Ishin" are the swords with the softer core and harder skin, and the others a Maru blade made of one piece of steel. However, I would not put money on it, so to speak.

Mantetsu made a big feature of their new method. Very refined steels with the skin made initially as a tube and the softer core inserted and the two electrically welded together before rolling and forging to shape.

Once upon a time Mantetsu blades were thought to be the ones made of obsolete rail-track, but I think that theory is now debunked.... Though such swords are on record as made at Seki and in occupied Beijing.

• Like 1

think daves Confusing this with the MANCHURIAN sword,

they appear to have jigane due to the fact the smiths over there were sourcing old bristish rail tracks which had a compasate construction.

the top having a linear grain to reduce ware from the use.

theres some brief info in the book MODERN Japanese SWORD SMITHS by Leon kapp.

they have no resemblance to mantetsu to, but are strangly well signed for a sino-showa style blade

Thank you.

To add potentially more confusion. I read that after the war there was an exhibition in Japan that only featured Koa isshin blades and excluded the tsukuru kore blades for some reason...Does any member know why?

I doubt it, from all we seem to know Mantetsu swords were all made in the same way.

Beyond cutting one in sections or new information we simply don't know if there was a real difference.

This example from ohmura states the different signatures are just that, different signatures used for different times of production.

20506.jpg

The blade Tang before March, 1939.
Mei: The trademark of a S.M.R
Uramei: Spring. 1938
Manufacture number: C 30

20507.jpg

The blade Tang after March, 1939.
Mei: Koa Issiin Mantetsu Kore o Tsukuru
Uramei: Spring. 1941
Manufacture number: Ka 236 20508.jpg

The blade Tang after March, 1943.
Mei: "Nan"  Mantetsu Kore o Tanzō
Uramei: Spring. 1943
Manufacture number: Hi 226

http://ohmura-study.net/913.html

• Like 2

Once upon a time Mantetsu blades were thought to be the ones made of obsolete rail-track, but I think that theory is now debunked.... Though such swords are on record as made at Seki and in occupied Beijing.

Hamfish. I got very interested in the railway track story, and did some digging. The trouble is it seems to get contentious very quickly when they are mentioned, and discussion rapidly descends into argument. I am in fact looking for  such  a blade to collect, but I want it documented or otherwise confirmed. They would be one hell of a cutter.

post-2218-0-12586000-1494015118_thumb.jpg

Morning Dave, over the years I have found that these type of low production, almost experimental methods of making swords in the early times didn't get much respect or documentation,

all I could find is small snippets of info, that have been translated. the book I mention above is the only published reliable information.

I wish you luck with your research, I have no time now due to family commitments

if you get really ambitious, theres is a very rare "combination sword" made about the time of the russo war.

its a cross of a dress sword but with a real blade inside, how or what is made from I never found out.

regards H    

I also heard that a Koa Isshin Mantetsu Saku made in 1943 incorporated some degree of "foreign steel"  likely from Sweden. Whereas a Mantetsu Kitae Tsukuru Kore made in 1943 was made with 100% Manchurian steel.  Looking forward to any comments on this. Thank you

Hi Dave,

Regarding using rail tracks for making Mantetsu, from my sources, you are completely correct. The Japanese never used rail tracks to make blades.

The Japanese did do sample tests on the purity of the tracks, and realized it's superior qualities compared to tamahagane.

Makes sense when you think about it. Why would the Japanese Imperial Army tear up rail tracks when they needed the rail lines to expand their control over the region.

• Like 1

I think the confusion comes from the term "Railway Steel" which has been used and misinterpreted over the years to be railway tracks. I know in the early days of Paul Chen swords they used this railway steel and most people thought it was literally old railway tracks.

Manchurian railway whispers if you will!

• 1 month later...

I don't believe there's a difference between Koa isshin blades with kore or saku on their nakago, just a different way to sign. All these blades I have seen were quite homogenous in quality and all of very good quality.

I have seen ( on photos) one or two with inscriptions a bit cruder so maybe some very late ones were slightly less well made.

You are right Jean.

One thing always I always find curious is the style of their inscriptions. It's like they were all cut by the same person, which I don't think it is the case regarding the number of them forged. I mean every amateur will recognize at first glance a Koa Isshin nakago even if he does not read Japanese. 

When one sees the huge difference of mei/nengo styles cut on WW2 blades (just look at Rich Stein's oshigata page), I find strange Koa Ishhin blades have all these inscriptions such homogenous, almost no variations.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I don't see any reasons that would preclude a profesional mei cutter or "head smith" from doing the signatures on all those Koa Isshin Mantetsu. A paralell can be seen with Seki Amahide's son (don't recall his name but he's listed in John Slough's book) usually credited as cuting mei on swords witin their factory and other Seki factories that made Showto.

I don't remember seeing any info on exactly who was hired to make and oversee swordmaking for the railway company, but it does seem reasonable to use that as an avenue to discover who did the nakago work?

Regards,

Lance

• Like 1

I doubt it, from all we seem to know Mantetsu swords were all made in the same way.

Beyond cutting one in sections or new information we simply don't know if there was a real difference.

This example from ohmura states the different signatures are just that, different signatures used for different times of production.

http://ohmura-study.net/913.html

After re-reading Ohmura-san's page, it seems he is claiming that the difference in nakago inscriptions were simply changed at March 1943. No change in manufacuture is discussed or implied:

The blade Tang AFTER MARCH 1943 (caps added for emphasis).

Mei: "Nan" Mantetsu Kore o Tanzō

Uramei: Spring. 1943

Manufacture number: Hi 226

I'd never caught that before, thanks!

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..