Sword help

dusty172

I have a WWII sword that was given to me as a gift and I was wondering if it was at all possible to translate what was written on the blade and if so does it tell who owned it originally? I’m asking this because if it’s possible I would like to try to return it to its original owner or their family.

Thanks

post-3206-14196819876862_thumb.jpg

post-3206-1419681988605_thumb.jpg

I have a WWII sword that was given to me as a gift and I was wondering if it was at all possible to translate what was written on the blade and if so does it tell who owned it originally? I’m asking this because if it’s possible I would like to try to return it to its original owner or their family.

Thanks

You are going to try to return the sword to its original Japanese owner???

May I ask, why?

Most mei signatures don't tell who owned the blade...only who MADE the blade.

I would love to find out more about the Japanese officer who owned my blade when it was captured from him...and how long it was in his family (it's an old blade)...

But I think finding that info is close to impossible.

I just thought it would be the right thing to do I myself am an Infantry soldier going on 9 years and a veteran of both Iraq and Afghanistan as well as a Jiu-jitsu practitioner for the past 22 years and I know how important the sword was for those soldiers regardless if they were the enemy at the time. So the question I was posting was more along the lines if it was possible to trace the maker back to a certain garrison or something along those lines where I may be able to find out who the sword was originally issued to. I guess I was assuming the Japanese military supply program was close to the American version where we track everything issued to a soldier down to the smallest item.

Thanks

Sometimes WWII swords come with surrender documents - sheets of fabric or wood or inscriptions on the scabbard that state who the original owner was. Having such information is usually the only way that they can be returned to their original owners.

BTW, the date on your sword looks like Showa 19th year 3rd month a day. (1944, March).

This might be a sword by Yoshichika...real name Yoshioka Ko?jiro, registered as a swordmaker at Seki, Gifu Prefecture on Sho18/04/26 (1942 April 26)..one of 232 such swordmakers at Seki through WWII.

Like Bruno and the others said, unless there are surrender papers or tag attached, your wish cannot be followed up. Even if there were, almost 70 years have passed and people have moved, died etc...a very difficult task. just keep it clean and oiled and enjoy it.

Regards,

Other points: In most cases, swords are arsenal blades that are mass produced and are illegal in Japan. Cannot be owned or imported.

Secondly, in many cases..the families nowdays do not want the sword. Modern Japan is very different. The average person is anti-weapons and they see these as such. They also don't want to be reminded of the war, which for many is a shameful memory.

Forget about returning swords unless the sword is historically significant. Just care for them and study them, and you be doing service to the previous owner.

Brian

I’m asking this because if it’s possible I would like to try to return it to its original owner or their family.

As others have said, even in the remote possibility you could find the family, it is 99% sure that they would have no interest in it whatsoever, and would want nothing to do with it.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..