Trouble at the NBTHK...

NBTHK's 2 former executives will be tried by the Public Prosecutors Office for unlawful handling of swords according to an article in the Oct. 28th Mainichi Shinbun.....They were found to have 400 unlicensed swords on the premises...Their President recently resigned as well.....seems there are still problems there,,,,,

post-1462-14196814774105_thumb.jpg

Wow, this is amazing. I wonder if the NBTHK is going to slip from the perch of being the final arbiter of authenticity and quality in Japanese swords? Along those lines, might the NTHK (either one) ever give higher ranks of papers equivalent to tokubetsu hozon, juyo, tokubetsu juyo etc?

This seems to be a huge headache for everyone concerned, but people are mildly surprised the police are bothering to go ahead with a prosecution.

Thanks for posting this, Chris. :clap: I had heard the rumours/rumors.

The article says that most of the swords' provenance is unknown (actually, ownership cannot be established, I believe), and a large proportion of the 400 have turned to rusty junk. There are some swords among them that have historical or artistic merit/value/importance. The police have narrowed it down to 30 swords with which they feel they can make a case.

A bunch of rusty, unimportant swords that were dumped on the NBTHK in its founding days, not considered worthy of restauration and therefore put in storage, unregistered as they were. An administrative oversight that recently was dug up and exploited for "political" reasons. But since it concerns the sword and firearms law - taken seriously by the police because it's one of the very few means the have in nailing Bôryokudan (Yakuza) - the DA can't simply drop the case, he has to show that he's "doing something." A rather silly waste of (Japanese) taxpayer's money.

... Yushu Saku papers which are considered their equivalent to Juyo Token...
Yes, I'm sure some consider them that ...

I heard about this since it came out while I was in Japan, but it seems that there are only a few people alive from that time that even "might" know about this. From what i heard, there will most likely be no prosecutions as there really isn't anyone left alive to prosecute. But the world seems to love drama, and as Guido says, the police have to at least look into the situation once it has been reported. Just like how I remember something about a Umetada Myoju sword and Mr. "e" of the NTHK..........and I am also a long time NTHK member even having studied under Yoshikawa sensei a while ago when there was only 1 NTHK group.

Reminds me of a Shakespeare play.... "Much ado about nothing"

A real pity that swords have to be part of political wrangling and hidden agendas. Hopefully it passes quickly and there are no serious repercussions. Legislated or not, there realy is something terribly silly about legal prosecutions over the equivalent of very long kitchen knives hidden in a basement... :roll:

Brian

Gentlemen

This "scandal" has been rumbling on for quite a while now and doesn't really seem to be going anywhere. As already stated, here are numerous political undertones that are difficult for gaijin to fully appreciate. Anyhow, I was given these press cuttings recently whilst in Japan. ( I will ask Jean to attach them, he's good like that).

Glad you are safely back in China Guido, I almost enjoyed our various meetings!

Clive Sinclaire

Gentlemen, I really don't know why the Japanese authorities are creating such a fuss when the solution to the whole problem is so simple, and would only take a day or so to implement. First put the swords in a packing case and ship them to me - I would even pay the cost of shipping. Why don't people in authority come up with such complicated solutions that cause so much stress when the obvious answer would avert the negative effects on the many and give at least one pleasure? :roll: :roll:

Ian Bottomley

From what i heard, there will most likely be no prosecutions as there really isn't anyone left alive to prosecute.

Perhaps you missed it in the original post: two former executives (both former members of the shinsa team) of the NBTHK ARE being prosecuted....

Much ado about nothing? Anyone that knows anything about Japan understands what reaches the newspapers is only the tip of the iceberg. Everyone with even a passing association with the sword world in Japan has heard the rumors and scandals for many many years. Consider the latest simply the straw....

And honestly, any individual caught with unregistered swords in Japan is going to pay the price. It is refreshing to see the law actually applied equally for a change.....

And the real crime is that NBTHK was established to preserve swords, not secret them away and let them rust into oblivion....

In march of 2010 I posted the story of the trouble with the NBTHK boy was I attacked by a bunch of non believers including all those american b ranch guys well la di da now I finally feel vindicated

LKanarekMD

reminds me of a story, something about an emperor and his clothes?????

This is a sorry situation. I truly cannot imagine how it was allowed to come to this. Whatever the back story, I think WE need the NBTHK. We must hope for a positive resolution. It is my understanding that some serious North American voices are in Japan at the moment. I hope they can and will express support. They are also likely to be a source of information better than the newspapers.

Peter

Hi all,

I did make one observation when reading the articles I found; NBTHK did apply for a diviórce from the government in order to go for public service organisation instead of the current setup.

Is this good or bad?

What are the impacts?

What are the benefits?

I am afraid that prices of their services would raise.

/Martin

Actually, they had their funding pulled/cut by the Ministry of Education, who had been providing support, after prior scandals. They had also previously tried to apply to the government for non-profit status, which was turned down. They cleaned house a year or so ago and appointed new administration. Now the President has resigned and they are in the midst of more trouble. Remains to be seen if their efforts to gain non-profit status will be fruitful in the future....

Agree with Peter and others...it is a sad situation. We do indeed need a Japanese organization to speak to the needs of swords and sword lovers. It remains to be seen if it will be the NBTHK or another in the future...

We do indeed need a Japanese organization to speak to the needs of swords and sword lovers. It remains to be seen if it will be the NBTHK or another in the future...

Well, it will definitely not be the NTHK for obvious reasons.

reinhard

one other thing for all to consider, is that I have never seen anyone from the NBTHK "throw rocks" at any other group including the NTHK when it went through its strange split syndrome.......I believe that these things do the hobby no justice at all, but there are those out there with ulterior motives that hurt the growth of Japanese swords around the world.