Musashi's namako tsuba gets a makeover

Ford Hallam

This is a recently completed project I was asked to undertake for Roger Robertshaw. He of the Hizen persuasion :D

I was asked to make a matching pair of tsuba, in copper, based on the well known namako design tsuba associated with Miyamoto Musashi. To spice the design up a little and to better compliment the antique koshirae they were intended to complete we settled on a bit of gold nunome-zogan decoration.

I thought the classic Higo niju-kara kusa pattern was appropriate for these guards given that Musashi is supposed to have done his metalwork there also. Nunome zogan on a ground as soft as copper proved to be devilishly tricky but I think the contrast of the gold against the copper patina was worth the effort. I can't be absolutely certain but I don't believe this sort of numome has been done on copper before.

I documented the making the pieces in a photo essay of sorts which you can see here.

This design was one I've long wanted to explore so I really enjoyed working out my own approach. As it happened, I was asked to make a similar version, sans decoration, for another member of the forum around the same time. This one was based very much on one of the copper versions attributed to Musashi and is quite a bit more sparse in feeling.

The original attributed to Musashi.

.jpg]

...and my version.

regards and thanks for looking,

Ford

post-229-14196798661967_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196798663751_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196798665608_thumb.jpg

post-229-14196798668934_thumb.jpg

post-229-1419679867147_thumb.jpg

Ford, you are an absolute master.

They are beautiful !

Especially the how you made it photos were of great interest to me ! (working on some hilts for my Roman Pugio here)

so every information on working with copper/brass/iron helps !

I have posted the link on the RomanArmy talk forum, hope you dont mind.

http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.ph ... =40#284700

KM

I have always liked the simplicity of this form, not that it is simple to create as it surely isn't. The gold accents are innovative and do give it that extra elan, but, I've really been impressed with you competancy in creating a wonderful colour on your copper and brass tsuba. I think that is your particular forte, Ford. John

Immensely satisfied - terrific work by Ford that is perfect and way more than I expected.

I think Ford is one of those rare perfectionists ...... just wish I knew how to do what he does, had the time, patience, skill etc :lol:

Thank you Ford.

Kind rgds,

Roger

Thank you, Roger, always very nice to have a satisfied client....especially one who owes me a copious amount of rice juice :D

and thanks Gentlemen. Glad you enjoyed the pics and the "step by step" essay.

Carlo,

the tsuba had to fit both the tsunagi and the blades. Roger sent me loads of photographs and measurements and I made little templates of the nakago and seppa dai areas to ensure a good fit. Apparently they fit like a glove. :)

The tsuba look absolutely amazing, and then you see them fitted to the daisho ensuite...and they just "pop"!

Wow...what an amazing set..all complementing each other. The colours really do go well together...so does everything.

Congrats Roger! Perhaps this set will travel back to SA on one of your visits, would love to see it in person.

Brian

This daisho is, I believe, a pair of eighth generation Tadayoshi blades with restored koshirae.

The fit of both tsuba is excellent and the patina match betwixt tsuba and fuchi is excellent.

The gold nunome is simple, precise and looks stunning up close. Knowing the technique of how its done, it's impressive to see how well Ford has carried it off, blending the marks into the ground so that they are practically impossible to see with the naked eye.

Brian, you may well be in luck...

I understand the pair will be making their way to your neck of the woods on an upcoming trip.

Maybe...

Hi All,

Yes, the koshirae is for blades from ............ 9th Gen Tadayoshi! What else ;)

Tokubetsu Hozon shinogi-zukuri Wakizashi and old Tokubetsu Kicho papered U-no-Kubi Zukuri Katana. Both in suguha signed in the same style "Hizen Kuni Tadayoshi". The signatures are remarkably similar, and considering the 9th had a relatively short working period of 20 years... they could easily have been made together, although I acquired them separately (having an almost monopoly on Tadayoshi !).

The large iron tsuba with brass inlay that I bought in Japan were way too heavy for the blades, and made them unbalanced, so after a few trials with Lee Bray and a tsukashi style tsuba here in Hong Kong, we decided to go for a 'Musashi' style - That proved impossible to buy in Japan as everyone wants one, let alone a daisho set. Lee had his Ford Tsuba with him, and having seen Ford's video on the tiger tsuba that week as well, there was no hesitation in asking Ford to help out. Then Ford came up with the idea of the gold nunome----stroke of genious. We agreed a price and Ford got to work -but I think it took him a 'little' longer than he anticipated and I got far more than my money's worth out of him !!

Living in a humid environment, the tsuba have darkened down a little and are now the same patina as the bulk of the fuchi. Either that , or my sticky paws all over them! Luckily the fuchi have several different patinas of copper (and gold), so almost anything could have worked, but you have to like the way Ford matched the patina first go from photos, and aged these puppies as well! They just look like they were made a few hundred years ago. Ford, ever thought of becoming the equivalent of Shinkai !

Interestingly the tsuka came made up in Japan with no mekugi ana - so I guess someone had them made, then decided not to use them. The saya were then made in Japan specially to match the kashira, kind of the wrong way around really, but it worked . The whole project took nearly 2 years to put the set together... and with Ford's tsuba, the work is now finished and complete to survive another few centuries at least... unless I wear them out as I can't stop playing with them. Boys with toys....

Kind rgds,

Thank you, Robert

Bob Morrison has commissioned yet another film and Brad Schaffer (the film maker) and I are in the process of documenting another piece at the moment. We'll almost certainly have something to show this year sometime. Hopefully sooner rather than later. :)

Hi Lorenzo,

The fuchi are 'formal wear' - they are usually black horn.

I used to think they were there as a cheap replacement to lost kashira, but I was told in Japan that is not the case, and that they are for formal occasions.

Often seen on Daisho.

These particular fuchi are gold fleck lacquer, but I do not know the base construction.

I put a magnifier on the edges, but they are lacquered as well - so without some kind of destructive testing, I am afraid I do not know.

If I had to guess, I would say lacquered horn.

Kind rgds,

Thank you. The kind of koshirae you mention is called kamishimo koshirae; the horn kashira doesnt have shitodome neither holes for the tsukaito though; the tsukaito pass over it. As you say, it isn't a cheap replacement but a very specific kind of koshirae.

In your example the tsukaito passes through hence my question about the material; I guess horn would be too soft to hold together... Lovely examples however they are made. Sorry for hijacking your thread ford.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..