eBay Tsuba: real or scam?

I'm aware many artifacts sold on eBay are actually modern repos. Of course there are legit sellers too. I'm new to this but can you buy actual antique tsuba for under $200? I'm seeing many on eBay that claim Edo period for example that look great going for cheap. I mean I have seen legit Japanese sword shop sites also sell some antique tsuba for a couple hundred too. There's one seller in particular I'd love to get your opinion on. He's located in Japan with 100% feedback and has high-end signed items with NBTHK paperwork. On the other end he also has tsuba well under $200 that he says are Edo period "original antique. not cast or modern." Can I get your feedback on his items (especially the cheaper tsuba)?

https://www.ebay.com...429486.m3561.l161211

• Like 1

There are plenty of genuine tsuba that come up for sale in our own For Sale section under $200. In fact, down to $50 sometimes. Age means nothing when it comes to fittings, you are buying the quality not the age.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Good point. I didn't realize fittings could be so affordable. Guess I was just leery of certain eBay sellers.

23 minutes ago, Brian said:

Age means nothing when it comes to fittings, you are buying the quality not the age.

• Like 1

this seller is one of only a few (not including private sellers) that I would recommend. After a while, if you get on with them, they make some "allowances" for you, too.

Having said that, stay away from them! I don't need any more competition adding to the weak Aus dollar! :laughing: