Need some help on this shin gunto

Lennon

Hey thanks for all the help last time you guys. I have recently acquired another shin gunto from my great grand father luckily the mekugi is still intact I was able to remove it but there is a giant screw in the tsuka any thoughts on why or how to get it off?

I actually have to shin Gunto I’ve been trying to figure out who forged it and the details of the sword the name in the tang is yoshida but there where a few yoshidas during that period so I’m not really sure any thoughts?

Yes, that's a Contingency model of the Type 98, or Rinji Seishiki (Or Type 3, Type 100, Naval Landing sword, Type 44, etc).

You should be able to simply unscrew the screw.  If it doesn't budge, try turning the oposite direction.  I haven't run into it personally, but I have read that some WWII screws were reverse threaded.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everybody I’m sorry for not responding for so long I’ve been very busy recently thanks for the knowledge you have provided me with it seems that the screw is still not coming off any ideas? 

13 minutes ago, Lennon said:

..... how do I determine if a sword is made of tamahagane?

You can't unless you have some experience with these blades. In case you see a HAMON (done by quenching in water) and HADA, there is a good chance that a blade is made wirh TAMAHAGANE. But there are more signs, so you have to train your eyes. Fakers are getting better!

If it's spinning in place, then it might simply "pull-out"

Don't go yanking on anything though. Try gently pulling on it, and see if it has any give.
What does the other side of the screw look like? You might have to secure that side while you turn, like a nut and a bolt. 

Anyway, I'm sure i'm not speaking for myself here; but I'd love to see more photos of the whole sword! 
Best of luck, 
-Sam

• Like 4

I'd start with your fingers...

and if that's not working maybe a pair of pliers; but with a rag/towel between the metal of the pliers and the metal of the screw
(so you don't scuff/scratch/stamp the sides of the screw with the plier tread)

Hope that makes sense,
Best to go slow and be careful,
Cheers,
-Sam

*Edit: If all else fails, there might be a fellow NMB member from Vermont who could help out in-person.

Edited by GeorgeLuucas
  • Like 1

Showa stamp pretty much seals it's fate as a Showato <-- machine made arsenal blade. The only way to 100% know for sure is for someone knowledgeable to see the actual blade. 

Looks to be signed Kanemune 兼 宗 although not 100% sure on second character.

Dated Showa Ni Ju Nen Ni gatsu  (Feb 1945) 昭和二十年二月

• Like 2

Slight correction - the stamp on the mei side is the Gifu stamp

GIfu(2).jpg.d234e0a30a7aa4a2c8fe60c3971012fe.jpg

No one knows exactly who was using the stamp.  It was either the Seki Cutlery Manufacturers Association or the Nagoya Army Arsenal.  The small stamp at top on the date side is the small Seki stamp of the Seki area inspector from the Nagoya Army Arsenal.  The presence of either would tell us the blade wasn't made in the traditional manner.

Sesko lists 2 Kanemune smiths in WWII.  Don't know which one this would be:

KANEMUNE (兼宗), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gifu – “Kanemune” (兼宗), real name Fukumoto Koichi (福本小市), born October 14th 1902, adopted son-in-law of Fukumoto Amahide (天秀), he died on March 8th 1977, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide)
KANEMUNE (兼宗), Shōwa (昭和, 1926-1989), Gunma – “Kanemune” (兼宗), family name Kiribuchi (桐淵), he worked as a rikugun-jumei-tōshō, ryōkō no jōi (Akihide), Fifth Seat at the 6th Shinsaku Nihontō Denrankai (新作日本刀 展覧会, 1941)

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..