Yet another iga no kami kinmichi

sambagis

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and hope this is the correct spot to ask this question.  I picked up with Wakizashi that seems to have a legitimate signature but Im unclear if there is a good way to determine if its legitimate.  Its signed "iga no kami kinmichi"  but Im not clear how to determine if its legitimate and or which generation it might be from.  The blade has a straight hamon line. I have attached photos for review.  Thanks in advance for any insight or help anyone can provide.

Wakazashi_signature3.jpg

Wakazashi_signature2.jpg

Wakazashi_signature.jpg

Wakazashi_hamon.jpg

Hey all,

Im assuming by the lack of response that this topic may be in the wrong section.  Either that or I have not provided enough info.  Any insight or help with some direction would be super appreciated.  Thanks again all and apologies for the ignorance.

In most cases we would need to see more of the actual blade to make a guess but looking how the distance between the signature and the mune gets wider while going down and the fact that the blade was sold by Komonjo make me think gimei.

You can check if it has Mishina boshi and how the Hamon starts and show us a picture of the sugata.

• Like 2

Very unique way of writing 伊 (the first character of "Iga no kami"). I can't find any other examples where its written like this. That makes me suspicious.

Mind you, I just took a quick look around in Fujishiro and on the internet. I haven't looked too deep. But also bear in mind that typically it is the sword that validates the mei. In other words, if the sword looks exactly like an "Iga-no-kami Kinmichi" sword, then the authenticators will deem the mei to be valid (assuming it, too, is within a reasonable variance to other authenticated mei). This is why collectors like to see the sword itself, rather than just a close-up of the mei. 

• Like 5

The Nihonto Zuikan has several examples with this style of 伊 also found one in the Shinto Oshigata Shu. Unfortunately there are significant differences with those examples so I would call it gimei. Of course the blade is the thing, what does the workmanship say?

-t

Hi all.  I am grateful for all of the insight.  I have attached photos of the actual blade here for review.   It has been an amazing process to begin what seems to be a life long education on this topic.  Its fabulous that all of you are here and so educated and also willing to share insights.   One of the questions I have is related to the comment from Christian about the seller Komonjo.  Do you all know this person and is he/she a less than reliable source of swords?  Should I steer clear of their sales?  If so, are there specific sellers that do sometimes have good legitimate swords that are not many thousands of dollars?   I am sort of a treasure hunter but am also ignorant enough that I can be duped very easily in this setting.  

Thanks again for all of the great insights.  

Wakazashi_blade3.jpg

Wakazashi_blade2.jpg

Wakazashi_blade.jpg

15 hours ago, Toryu2020 said:

The Nihonto Zuikan has several examples with this style of 伊 also found one in the Shinto Oshigata Shu. Unfortunately there are significant differences with those examples so I would call it gimei. Of course the blade is the thing, what does the workmanship say?

-t

I have no experience with evaluating the blade.  I have uploaded photos and can take more.  Not sure what you would need to see.  Thanks again for the training and support.

Well,since you're quoting me.

Here are four oshigata - two first generation and two second generation. Compare the signatures closely. I was taught if you can find four anomalies it is highly questionable. Look at your temper line do you see anything like what is illustrated? especially at the tip? Looking at your photo the grain (jigane) looks rough and tired, not in keeping with this master. I'm guessing they (the fakers) saw the shape of your tang and thought "close enough, lets put Kinmichi on this one..."

-t

IMG_1648.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..