San Antonio Area Sword Club

We are going to start a San Antonio, Texas area monthly sword club that meets monthly. We will be meeting in San Antonio and welcome everyone from surrounding areas as it has been quite a while since we had a Texas based group. Would love to hear from anyone in the area that would like to meet. We will be starting meetings in December 2023 in downtown  San Antonio. The plan is to meet monthly on a specific Saturday but would love to hear thoughts about what might work best for folks. I will be starting this up with (many of you know Roger Robertshaw who is the authority on Hizento) and our intent is on creating a group that educates on Nihonto and Tosogu. Please feel free to reach out to me via Pm or here and we will let everyone know our meeting plans. Thanks.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you are in the San Antonio, Texas area please feel free to join us for our first meeting Feb 3rd at 3pm. You can send either me or Roger a DM for the location and details etc. Hope we can get some of the Texas collectors to catch on here and make this a regular meeting. 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to Mark Jones for the Vegas Japanese Sword section... as always some fabulous items to drool over. ..... and great to see Brian there all the way from South Africa. There is no truth in the rumour that he was stopped by the South African Airport Police on arrival with 4 katana stuffed down each trouser leg, which were apparently easy to spot due to difficulty walking off the aircraft. The large bore tanegashima/teppo pistol down the front of his trousers went un-noticed. 

The first San Antonio club meet will be held this coming Saturday, 3rd of Feb, at 3pm at the Bookstore at 5154 Broadway, San Antonio, TX78209.

We would love to see anyone who can attend (its a free event!) ; novices, experts , anyone who has an interest in Japanese swords are all welcome. Because it is the first meeting, we will be starting off with the basics of sword etiquette and handling, flaws to avoid in your hunt for swords, and gokaden/features to look for in the sword. James and I will take some swords along as discussion material, and anyone can bring along their own Japanese swords regardless of age and condition (that is the sword age and condition!) . The more the merrier! Any Hizento will of course be confiscated at the door by myself, as will Juyo fittings by James.

Whilst we realize that many of you live a prohibitively long way away, we hope to see some of you ...... if you can make it, please bring along a sword (or ten) to share with the group, and spread the word.

Kind rgds,

Roger & James  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:32 PM, omidaijo said:

Thanks to Mark Jones for the Vegas Japanese Sword section... as always some fabulous items to drool over. ..... and great to see Brian there all the way from South Africa. There is no truth in the rumour that he was stopped by the South African Airport Police on arrival with 4 katana stuffed down each trouser leg, which were apparently easy to spot due to difficulty walking off the aircraft. The large bore tanegashima/teppo pistol down the front of his trousers went un-noticed. 

:laughabove: :laughing:

Thanks for the loan of the tanto to cut off my feet at the Vegas show Roger. The bloody stumps left afterwards hurt way less than my feet after walking the show for 2 days. 
Was good seeing you again. Hopefully I’ll do it again one day. 

• Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 1:32 PM, omidaijo said:

The first San Antonio club meet will be held this coming Saturday, 3rd of Feb, at 3pm at the Bookstore at 5154 Broadway, San Antonio, TX78209.

We would love to see anyone who can attend (its a free event!) ; novices, experts , anyone who has an interest in Japanese swords are all welcome. Because it is the first meeting, we will be starting off with the basics of sword etiquette and handling, flaws to avoid in your hunt for swords, and gokaden/features to look for in the sword. James and I will take some swords along as discussion material, and anyone can bring along their own Japanese swords regardless of age and condition (that is the sword age and condition!) . The more the merrier! Any Hizento will of course be confiscated at the door by myself, as will Juyo fittings by James.

Whilst we realize that many of you live a prohibitively long way away, we hope to see some of you ...... if you can make it, please bring along a sword (or ten) to share with the group, and spread the word.

Kind rgds,

Roger & James  

Congrats on establishing your local token kai! If you're ever in the Indiana area, please let me know and I can get you the date of our next meeting. We've been having monthly meetings for the past few years now. The time does fly! You'll have to come see my hizento sometime it sounds like.

Again, congratulations.

Regards,

~Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Aaah, I wish I'd seen this a few weeks ago.  I am up in Lampasas, but I'd love to start coming down to meetings if this is going to be a regular thing.  I am fairly new to nihonto, and it would be great to connect with others in central Texas with a similar interest.  Please let me know if there is another meeting scheduled.

Hi All,

We had a very good first meeting with about 10 people with varying levels of experience. Topics were sword etiquette, common flaws found in swords, and then viewing of about 12 swords. The two and a half hours passed really quickly and all who attended agreed that there should be another meeting - Saturday being the preferred day.

so.... for a trial period, we are going to have a regular meeting on the FIRST SATURDAY of every month, at 3pm sharp, in the San Antonio area. If you want to be on the email list, please pm me and I will add you to the mailing list with venue details etc. It is important to get on the list so we can notify anyone with changes to venue. 

If anyone on this list is planning on attending and can bring along a piece or two, please do so --- whilst James and I have plenty of items for show and tell, we don't want to do all the talking!

2 March 2024, 3pm meeting we will talk briefly on sword hada (grain), then get onto the viewing. I will also be bringing a few Tameshimei swords for a brief introduction to the sword testers and different cutting tests. .... bring bandages, gags and iodine .....

Kind rgds,

Roger and James

8a14_3.thumb.JPG.a731eac06294d448b3810294c7751712.JPG

"You were told 3pm, not 4pm !!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2