AOI auction - Tachi - Bizen Jū Masahiro Saku - Market going down?

It is very interesting item and I think the price will (should) get higher than starting price.

However there are some small things in Aoi Arts listing that might not been explained. The actual founder of Mihara school is considered to be Masaie (正家) during late Kamakura period. There was actually late Kamakura - Early Nanbokuchō period Masahiro (正広) in Mihara province. He is the famous Masahiro smith from Mihara. This tachi that is at Aoi is actually by 2nd generation Mihara Masahiro, he was working around late Nanbokuchō - Ōei. Now even though he is not valued as high as the 1st generation, he is still good smith and many works by him have achieved Jūyō status. And I personally cannot really identify the difference between Mihara Masahiro generations. I have just put down many signed tachi as Nanbokuchō works in general. Here on Aoi Art item NBTHK has specified in brackets that this is work of the 2nd generation. For comparison the Masahiro tachi from Tokubetsu Jūyō 2 is seen as work of 1st generation as late Kamakura period has been specified for it, and Masahiro tachi from Tokubetsu Jūyō 23 is seen as 2nd generation work as late Nanbokuchō has been specified for that one by NBTHK.

I counted items I have info on so far and only got 25 Mihara Masahiro tachi in total. Then there are some signed naoshi, katana, and shorter blades.

• Like 12
  • Love 1

30 minutes ago, Jussi Ekholm said:

It is very interesting item and I think the price will (should) get higher than starting price.

However there are some small things in Aoi Arts listing that might not been explained. The actual founder of Mihara school is considered to be Masaie (正家) during late Kamakura period. There was actually late Kamakura - Early Nanbokuchō period Masahiro (正広) in Mihara province. He is the famous Masahiro smith from Mihara. This tachi that is at Aoi is actually by 2nd generation Mihara Masahiro, he was working around late Nanbokuchō - Ōei. Now even though he is not valued as high as the 1st generation, he is still good smith and many works by him have achieved Jūyō status. And I personally cannot really identify the difference between Mihara Masahiro generations. I have just put down many signed tachi as Nanbokuchō works in general. Here on Aoi Art item NBTHK has specified in brackets that this is work of the 2nd generation. For comparison the Masahiro tachi from Tokubetsu Jūyō 2 is seen as work of 1st generation as late Kamakura period has been specified for it, and Masahiro tachi from Tokubetsu Jūyō 23 is seen as 2nd generation work as late Nanbokuchō has been specified for that one by NBTHK.

I counted items I have info on so far and only got 25 Mihara Masahiro tachi in total. Then there are some signed naoshi, katana, and shorter blades.

Another excellent post, Jussi! As we know, dealers sometimes deliberately obfuscate their descriptions. Such ambiguity as to the precise generation or period usually raises hopes in the potential buyer. It makes reading the original / NBTHK documentation so much more important. 

• Like 4

Hamon is quite well seen, while jigane is absolutely bland everywhere, quite possibly the polisher did not do well with it and killed whatever was there. A bit tired as well.

Otherwise its a typical issue that circa 1395 blade costs half of the one from 1385.

It is what it is.

Personally there is some decay of quality from 1350 to 1380, but 1440 is often as good or better than 1380.

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..