Possible use of the Kogai?

Dan tsuba

Thanks, Ian, for the information on the chonmage hair style!  I knew nothing about that, so I looked it up and found the following information-

“The chonmage (丁髷) is a type of traditional Japanese topknot haircut worn by men. It is most commonly associated with the Edo period (1603–1867) and samurai, and in recent times with sumo wrestlers. It was originally a method of using hair to hold a samurai kabuto helmet steady atop the head in battle, and became a status symbol among Japanese society.”

In a traditional Edo-period chonmage, the top of the head is shaved. The remaining hair was oiled and waxed before being tied into a small tail folded onto the top of the head in the characteristic topknot.  (picture included below-and "no" just because the picture appears below my name - it is not a picture of me!  Ha, ha, ha, etc).

From-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chonmage

Also, more information on the chonmage hairstyle.  Also, if you scroll down on the left hand side of this site it tells why the samurai shaved the top of their heads (to stop it from itching when wearing a helmet!  Who knew!)

https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0004702/

With respect,

Dan

chonmage hair style.jpg

• Like 1

Two mentions of the uses for Kogai. The first from 1895 and the second from 1908.

THE SWORD OF Japan AND IT'S ORNAMENTS
by  THE COUNTESS ANNIE DE MONTAIGU 
Illustrations from notable examples of ancient sword-guards. 
Source: The Monthly Illustrator, Vol. 4, No. 13 (May, 1895).

"TSUBA  - The sword occupied the place of honor in the middle slot; on one or both sides was the ko-dzuka, [Modern-kozuka 小柄] a small sharp pointed knife whose blade reposed in an outer furrow of the scabbard. When a single ko-dzuka was carried, an iron hair-pin designated koghai [Modern-kogai 笄] was slipped through the other aperture. This koghai was a highly useful implement. It fastened the cap of the soldier, was used as a fork to pick up grains of rice at meals and in the course of battle was stuck into the body of a dead foe to lay claim to its possession."

THE WARRIORS OF THE SUN FLAG.
Source: Bulletin of the Detroit Museum of Art,
Vol. 2, No. 1 (JANUARY, 1908), pp. 12-16 

"The skewer usually has upon its handle some pattern or model, corresponding in some way with the crest or monogram of the owner. Its use is threefold to the soldier. Sometimes taken from its place and put in his hair to hold it in place. In camp, it is often used as a chop stick by him. In battle he uses it to stick in the body of a dead adversary as a sign of ownership."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A number of other early references to the uses of Kogai.

The Japs at home. [1894]
by Douglas Brooke Wheelton Sladen. 

"Sword ornaments, it may be mentioned, consisted of kodzuka [kozuka], the handle of the short dagger or kokatana carried in the side of the scabbard ; the kogai, or skewer, used for leaving in the body of a dead foe to boast who slew him." 

In lotus-land Japan
by Herbert George Ponting.
Publication date 1910 

"The blade ; the tsuba or hand-guard ; the kashira or cap of the handle ; the fuchi or oval ring at the base of the handle ; the menuki or small ornaments on either side of the handle (to afford a better grip) ; the kodzuka or short dagger fitting into one side of the sword scabbard ; the kogai or skewer fitting into the opposite side (the purpose of which was to be left for identification in the body of the adversary slain)."

The Springfield City Library Bulletin ... v.30-31
1910-11. [November, 1911.]
Art Museum- Japanese Sword-Furniture:

"The kogai, or dagger, which usually has upon its handle some pattern or model corresponding with the crest or monogram of the owner, is said to have a threefold use for the soldier. Sometimes it is employed to hold his hair in place; in camp it often serves as a chopstick; while in battle it is used to stick in the body of a dead adversary as a sign of ownership."

This looks like a direct re-write from the THE SWORD OF Japan AND IT'S ORNAMENTS [1895] a not uncommon thing at the time, with limited access to other references.

THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART COLLECTION OF ARMS AND ARMOR
INCLUDING :THE WILLIAM H. RIGGS DONATION
MCMXXI    1921 [Copyright January, 1915] 

"Here also are small "paper knives'' (kozuka) having flat, decorated handles, and skewers (kogai), the latter serving as hair pins. Both were tucked into the sides of the sword-sheath. The kozuka could be thrown with great precision and it is said to have been a formidable weapon, readily striking a mark, e.g., the eye-hole of an armor-mask, at a range of ten feet. The kogai, or skewer, it may be remarked, had a curious function: it was left with a slain enemy as a mark of identification, and later thrust into the ear-hole of the severed head, to serve as a handle in carrying the trophy. Occasionally the kogai is formed of halves and could be used as chop-sticks (hashi), not however for knife and fork, but as ceremonial tweezers, to handle ashes or incense."

This description was later retold word for word in "Handbook of Arms and Armor : European and Oriental", Metropolitan Museum of Art 
by Bashford Dean [4th edition] 1930 

These were incidental finds from articles written relating specifically to tsuba, so other articles are likely to exist more specific to Kogai research.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sadly, going back to many 'older' Western writings on Japan only reinforces many of the original romantic but mistaken generalizations that we have subsequently worked so hard to put right.

This present thread contains nuggets of real information, but these can get re-buried in the old chestnuts if we are not careful.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Occasionally the kogai is formed of halves and could be used as chop-sticks (hashi), not however for knife and fork, but as ceremonial tweezers, to handle ashes or incense."

This is the first I have heard of this 'practice' I can't say I give it much credence, it seems a very limited use for an otherwise useful set of eating tools. Not wishing to offend anyone but some of these tales sound more like the result of 'Chinese whispers'  [politically corrected now to "Broken Telephone", I must confess a term new to me.]  - the story getting more and more embellished or lost in translation.

We should not select however just what we think are the "facts" and dismiss documented alternative views written at a time much closer to the practices being discussed - too much of history has been re-written for various reasons and often with no evidence or for ulterior motives. Balance is always better than dogma.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Spartancrest said:

Occasionally the kogai is formed of halves and could be used as chop-sticks (hashi), not however for knife and fork, but as ceremonial tweezers, to handle ashes or incense.

This begs the question: would warriors be carrying any weapon at all in such occasions? I assume said occasions would be funerals or temple visits. So those wari-kogai would be more likely on a wakizashi?

• Like 1

So, another long post.  But stay with me here members!

First, I would like to thank all the members that have spent hours (probably!) researching and referencing their material on this thread.  I know how difficult and time consuming that can be!

Now, evidently (found on a post to this thread) there was another thread (started in 2018) that deals with the similar question of the usability of a Kogai.-

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/25292-usability-of-kogai/

That thread has a lot of interesting stuff on it also!

Now, one of the things I found from that thread is that there are two different kinds of ear wax (I know, a little too much information!).  But that would explain why those of Asian heritage are more concerned about keeping their ears clean (they have a “dryer and harder” ear wax than some people of other heritages).  If they do not clean their ears, the wax buildup evidently can become quite painful (the ear cleaning tool in Japan is known as a mimikaki).

Now I have included parts of some posts on the above thread-

"Question: where can we find in Japaneses litterature the way kogai were used?

Cleaning ears has long been mentioned but I encourage people having one to try: highly inefficient (I have tried)”

“…existence of mimimaki, I was just wondering (even if it has the same name because it has the same shape) the use of of kogai as mimimaki. The mimimaki is a spatula with a long neck, on a kogai you have just the round end of the spatula without its long neck, the ear canal is around 2,5cm long and the kogai mimimaki is at most 1cm,…”

So, the above statements are interesting.  And the fact that a person tried to clean his ear with a Kogai and it was not effective is also very interesting (known as the empirical method of scientific observation).

Now, what else have I learned?  We also know that the samurai shaved the top of their heads to keep it from itching when wearing a helmet.

We also know that the Japanese craftsman were intelligent, good at what they did and developed.

So, let’s say if I were to come up with a “scratching tool” for my itchy head when wearing a helmet, and something that can also be used for ear wax removal; what would I develop?

Would I come up with a straight tool like a Kogai.  No, because that is an impractical design!  I would craft something like a small “backscratcher”.  Something where the point and tip of the piece was bent (like a backscratcher”) and it could get under the helmet, under the hair and scratch my scalp and also be used to remove ear wax.  Something like the Japanese ear pick shown below (mimikaki).  This type of design is not what we see in the older Kogai.

I should also state that If I was in camp after a long day on the battlefield, the last thing I would be interested in is cleaning my ears!

So, was the Kogai initially developed for use as a head scratching tool or ear wax removal tool by a samurai? My thought is “no” it was not.

And the Kogai, centuries ago, probably started off and was used as some sort of “slain enemy” marking tool.  More than one reference states it was used to put in a slain enemy’s ear to “mark it” so the samurai at a later time in the battle would recognize his own Kogai and cut the head from the body so he can bring it to his Daimyo.  Or he pulled the Kogai out of the slain enemy’s ear, cut off the head, put it in a “bag” took his Kogai, and was ready for the next “kill” and “marking”.

As to the statements, stated previously on this thread, “Yup, and kogai are usually made of shakudo or another copper alloy that had better be very sharp or it will surely bend thrusting it through the skull deep enough to label it as your kill.”  Also, it was stated “If there was any intent to use it for piercing, we would see kogai with sharpened tips. Have not seen one single one. Wonder why?” 

Well, it may be that the “old” kogai used in battle were forged from iron.  If they were not made from iron (made from copper, another copper alloy, or shakudo and the point was not sharp), the only way to ascertain if a Kogai could be thrust through the ear (as stated as one of its uses) or ankle (also stated as one of its uses) is to test it on a cadaver (I know, morbid and it will never be done!).  Maybe the Kogai was only thrust into one ear of the slain enemy for marking purposes (and not through both ears). Otherwise, stating that it could not be done or used in this way is just all conjecture.

Maybe over the centuries when the warring period in Japanese history was over, the Kogai still retained its relationship with the "human ear”?  Maybe in the non-warring period of Japanese history (the Edo period) it may just have been carried for ornamentation in the saya, possibly used as some sort of ear cleaning tool, or hair arrangement piece?

Anyway, the adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan

japanese ear pick 1.jpg

Some brief notes about kogai

• Age – As with most pre-Edo fittings, there are no known signed examples, so dating is speculative based on a few intact jidai koshirae examples. However, there is a classification called Jidai kogai that are dated frequently Muromachi - Nambokucho periods

• Terms:

• Kanagu = tsuba, seppa, habaki, fuchigashira, metal saya fittings if any

• Kodogu = kogai, menuki, kozuka

• Mitokoromono = a kodogu set with all three pieces made with a unified theme

• Iebori = house carvers. Worked as retainers to Daimyo

• Machibori = street carvers. Independent metal workers who sold to anybody

• There were different ranks of Samurai

• There were also members of Buke clans who were not Samurai but who were allowed to carry swords

• Non-Buke people also were sometimes allowed swords. Generally restricted to the shorter lengths

• Koshirae and kogai (based on review of existing illustrated examples)

• Tachi – Have kanagu, but no kodogu (except menuki)

• Katana and uchigatana– Usually both kozuka and kogai or, neither. Some rare exceptions with either one or the other

• Wakizashi – Usually kozuka only or, neither. Also rare exceptions, usually from late Edo period

• Tanto – Usually both kozuka and kogai or, neither. Hira-zukuri blades may also have been mounted as ko-wakizashi and have kozuka only

• I have not found a definitive explanation for the kogai. Although kogai are thought to be a grooming tool, it is also thought to have functioned as a Buke rank identifier. This could explain why it was mounted in the saya so it was visible

• The theory is that kogai were allowed only to upper rank Samurai and Daimyo and forbidden to low rank Buke and common people

• It is thought that kogai were made primarily by Iebori workers for Daimyo and their higher ranking retainers. Frequently made as mitokoromono

• Kogai, as noted above, were mostly mounted on upper class Samurai katana and tanto koshirae

• Lower class Buke and commoners primarily wore wakizashi koshirae, no kogai

• Edo period machibori koshirae, which can be very luxurious and high end, are generally kozuka only wakizashi koshirae, with some exceptions for Daimyo quality koshirae

• More information on koshirae in general, and a reference book list can be found in the NMB archive in an article by me, titled, A Brief overview of Japanese Sword mounts of the late Muromachi through Edo periods

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• 11 months later...

Hello all,

So, I was finally able to afford and buy a kogai (pictures attached). 

Let’s talk about ear cleaning.!  I put the “scoop” end in my ear.  Yes, it probably could help in cleaning out an ear, but my pinkie finger goes further in my ear than the “scoop” end of the kogai!  So why use the “scoop”?

How about a hair arrangement implement.  I don’t think so.  It appears to be on the heavy side to be used for that function (it would fall out of the hair), and it is not like any Japanese kogai hair arrangement tool that I have seen on the websites (picture attached with samurai with kogai in their hair).

So, what was it used for?  I have seen pictures on this forum on the below thread-

https://www.militaria.co.za/nmb/topic/25292-usability-of-kogai/

of Japanese woodblock prints showing subjects using the “long end” of the kogai in ear cleaning.

But one “slip” in the cleaning process and the ear drum is damaged or ruptured!

How about a dull surgical type tool?  Maybe something that can be used to remove an arrow from the subject without cutting the area of the body with a sharp kogatana??  Is that a possibility?

I just think that there was more to the kogai’s use than just maybe ear cleaning and possible hair grooming!

With respect,

Dan

IMG_3641.JPG

IMG_3642.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

samurai-12.jpg

• Like 1

Dan - those are topknots, just long hair bound in a tight bunch, oiled and laid upon the head - only string is used no metal. Kanzashi which are ladies ornaments are made of wood and lacquer so very light but they are not Kogai and Kogai were never worn in the hair.

Ever seen a secretary scratch her head with the dull end of an ink pen - that's what Kogai do. Ever seen a comb with a long thin point at one end? That point is used to tease a single piece of stray hair back into place - that's what Kogai do...

If you wear long hair everyday you need hair implements close at hand...

-t

• Like 1

Thanks Thomas!

Your post makes a lot of sense.  Although the samurai on the left of the photo in my previous post seems to have his hair tied, the two other samurai on the right of the picture seem to have something on top of their head.  I have included a picture of what I think that object is.  It is also called a kogai (picture included below), although not the metal kogai that is also referred to as an "ear cleaning" (or whatever) tool and is shown in my above post.

So, was the metal kogai an ear cleaning tool?  Was it a hair arrangement tool?  Was it used to thrust through the ear of a defeated opponent?  Was it used as some sort of dull surgical tool to extract an embedded arrow?  Was it used for eating food?  Or did it have all these uses or some other unknown use?

Who knows?  Just some more interesting stuff!

With respect,

Dan

kogai picture.jpg

Also many women wore high wigs - held in place by pins. One I bought for my wife  https://www.jauce.com/auction/m1079289032 she has a small collection of metal Kanzashi [so I don't make any sudden moves!]

i-img450x600-16742817121nfhwf390101.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanzashi#:~:text=Kanzashi came into wider use,be used as defensive weapons.

Kanzashi came into wider use during the Edo period, when hairstyles became larger and more complicated, using a larger number of ornaments. Artisans began to produce more finely crafted products, including some hair ornaments that could be used as defensive weapons.

https://haircombdiva...i-as-deadly-weapons/

"A woman could also use her kanzashi as a deadly weapon. Female ninja, or kunoichi, practiced ninjutsu, the martial art of guerrilla warfare. They used their kanzashi to rake the eyes of their victims while escaping. Or, they dipped them in poison to assassinate people. Fending off male attackers was another convenient function."

A fun one here - tanegashima something to really blow your mind!   https://www.japantre...-hairpin-p-3476.html

image.thumb.png.a981b00d46fe7aa7d15a07522e2b958b.png

Thanks Thomas!  You are correct.  I zoomed in on the picture, and what is on top of the samurai’s head is perfectly tied hair!

Also, thanks to Spartancrest for your post.  I quote part of it here “Kanzashi came into wider use during the Edo period, when hairstyles became larger and more complicated, using a larger number of ornaments. Artisans began to produce more finely crafted products, including some hair ornaments that could be used as defensive weapons.”

The picture you included in your post may just be how the kogai could have been used to hold the hair (with the added feature of a possible defensive weapon and an “ear scoop” on one end!!) ?

The adventure continues!

With respect,

Dan