Opinions, Please

Bruce sorry I can’t help you with anything But I really like what I see. I buy what I like and this style of hamon is what I like. Good luck as I am sure others will jump in soon and provide you with the information you are looking for. Also I was able to see all your pictures

MikeR

23 hours ago, PNSSHOGUN said:

It would not be surprising to see a Sho stamp on the Nakago.

Bingo!  

You guys nailed it.  I'm always on the lookout for a Showa-stamped blade that could be gendaito.  While I personally think all Showa and large Seki stamped blades were inspected/approved showato, there remain the stories of a couple blades that papered at shinsa with the showa stamp.  

Thanks for evaluating this one!

@Michaelr  - this is from an ebay sale.  I think it's still active if you search for it.  It's an undated Yoshikane in shirasaya:

1381620874_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.c7b4b2d6af5261196c59d6ad3a481071.jpg399477857_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.e8b67d45cb72d48ac68d7673a12f5173.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.091bca3b6c29149d73c8fea142811c8c.jpg

• Like 3

In this state of polish I would not confirm this blade was made from folded steel. The HAMON reminds indeed of an oil quench, but there is no metallurgical reason to fold alloyed industrial steel.

Only a clear evidence of HADA on a traditionally polished blade would be a proof of folded steel. For my old eyes, the above photos do not show that.

• Like 1

Guest Simon R

Hi Bruce,

Here is one by Kanemichi which was recently sold by a Japanese sword dealer.

It is a very obvious oil quench with no hada and has had its Sho(?) stamp removed without even bothering to try to disguise or age the fresh yasurime.

Oh, and it received Hozon certification from the NBTHK in 2016 - complete with the clumsy patch of new file-work shining forth from the origami's photo.
Showato is apparently the new gendaito.

https://www.Japanese-sword-katana.jp/%E6%9C%AA%E5%88%86%E9%A1%9E/1610-1123.htm15EB2F2A-018F-4BDD-B44F-594D20EFD5B3.thumb.jpeg.9c2f7680767d8582472eb592873caef7.jpeg

4E80DFD3-23DD-4CFB-88EA-4B93AC7D8E84.jpeg

D035FBB3-82D2-47BE-A9A5-0D3B89B67175.jpeg

10 hours ago, SRDRowson said:

It is a very obvious oil quench with no hada and has had its Sho(?) stamp removed without even bothering to try to disguise or age the fresh yasurime.

Oh, and it received Hozon certification from the NBTHK in 2016 - complete with the clumsy patch of new file-work shining forth from the origami's photo.
Showato is apparently the new gendaito.

Thanks Simon!  So the blade got a Hozon rating even though it's clearly showato.  Reminds me of the Mantetsu that recently got a rating.  

So, the evidence that we have in hand still supports that showa stamped blades were showato.  

PS: For clarity, I have 30 Kanemichi blades on file - 26 are showa stamped, 4 have the large Seki stamp.  So, technically, this blade could have had a large Seki removed, but the odds are in favor of it being a showa.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..