British To-Ken Society

Hi all, I’ve just read through all of the mostly helpful replies many made in regards to my 1st post regarding being in the UK.

sadly an individual did there best to create an unpleasant theme which resulted in the post being closed.

I did however feel I needed to give my account and somewhat defence of my own personal experience of my first To-Ken society meeting last Saturday.

although sadly a low turnout due to rail strikes and Covid, the few that were present were a wealth of information and knowledge that I can only aspire to.

the secretary brought a couple of very fine examples and although I’m no authority going on others reactions they were very good examples.

personally I felt it was one of the most beneficial ( personally) and rewarding meetings I’ve been to. 

obviously this is my own personal opinion and others are entitled to theirs, but mine was a very positive experience.

Lee.

• Like 5

Glad you enjoyed your first meeting Lee  I hope we have inspired you to come along to some of our regional meetings and museum study days in the future. Then there are zoom meetings which are Increasingly popular 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As i said previously before being censored by Brian (the autocratic authority here-very gustapoish)

I am glad you're experience was fruitful.

What i have heard from others was that it was very salesman like after the lectures were concluded, with senior members approaching others for business, some members showing up completely drunk, other snior members pushing their trades as polishers and saya makers whilst never having been trained in Japan, etc.

I certainly hope this is not the case anymore and if it has changed then that is great news. 

• Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Nihontocollector752 said:

Brian (the autocratic authority here-very gustapoish)

What i have heard from others…

Unless you are unaware, it’s Brian’s site… his $$$… his playground… his rules… and seriously… it is Gestapo-ish.  At least spell snide comments right.:roll:

Funny… MOST of us have no problem here.  Sometimes if it stinks wherever you go, you might want to check your undies.  You always have the option to go somewhere else, or better yet, show everyone how it is done and start your own, better run, website (you know, to PROVE how much better YOU would be at this), but you don’t have the option to dictate your expectations on something you don’t own or have responsibility for.

“What i have heard from others…” (you have made this statement several times) is at best hearsay, can be considered to be completely made up, and has NO validity.  I can claim I have heard ‘from others’ about a lot of things about you.  Doesn’t mean it’s true.  When you have actual FIRST HAND documented knowledge of events, then maybe you would have a little more standing here.  

What is more interesting is that I’m just trying to figure out what is in it for you to try so hard to convince the poster that he didn’t experience FIRST HAND what he says he experienced based only on your SECOND HAND (and THAT is a maybe) “what I have heard from others” accusations ?  

Things that make the rest of us go hmmmmm???……

• Like 3

Jimmy,
What you are attempting to do is called a passive aggressive back-handed compliment and I'll continue to delete your posts (and more if needed) if you continue.
Please spare us the fake "glad to hear you had a good experience and that they didn't again do X and Y and Z to you like they did in the past"
Do you really think it isn't obvious what you are attempting to do?
You sound like a spokesperson for a certain bothersome ex member and one who has been causing conflict in the UK Nihonto world for a while.
If I were using your own tactics, I'd say "Thanks for your input Jimmy. The way you push your agenda and try to create division, I am very glad you aren't that other guy XY and even though you sound like him, it's a good thing you aren't"

See how that works?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Gentlemen

I really do think this needs to stop.

Jimmy your comments are not based on facts and experience by your own admission they are based on "what you've heard"

Are we perfect? No far from it but we continually try to improve.  at risk of sounding arrogant we have come a long way in recent years built on a strong foundation laid down by my predecessors. I am confident that under the new chairman this progress will continue. 

We should and I hope do welcome feedback and we do encourage members to share an concern and criticism   this is helpful

Your hearsay and inaccurate comments are less so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As mentioned already.

Good to meet other collectors and if for any reason one of them mentions they may be selling something then i certainly wont be offended.

With all the hassles of buying online and importing, makes perfect sense.

Grow up Jimmy, you sound like one of those kids that go home with the ball when things are not going their way

@Alex A oh la la, another emotional rant from you. Btw since we are correcting grammar it's you're rather than your. 

On the whole the Token GB is dying out either way. Composed of members in their silver haired years and it will by any account simply die a natural death it seems. So my professing on what is wrong with it or right with it is of no matter. If a society is heading in that trajectory then it's best to just watch the twilight. 

If they had made reforms sooner and made enough effort to modernise and be more interesting, more than a platform for selling or socially connecting perhaps things wouldn't have gone so badly

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

membership has increased year on year for the past 5 years. demographic has reduced (albeit slowly) and most new members are in their 30s/40s. 

The only way you can assess the age and number of members is through access to the Society's database which you don't have. So once again your comments are inaccurate and speculation.

As long as there is an interest in what we do, which certainly seems to be the case the Society will continue. When that ceases to be the case it will stop.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nihontocollector752 said:
3 hours ago, Nihontocollector752 said:

So my professing on what is wrong with it or right with it is of no matter. 

You’ve never said a truer word. 

Best leave it there then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I would remove those ridiculous comments, but I feel leaving them up there says more than taking them down ever will.
I'm more and more convinced you are a proxy. But so be it...I'll allow everyone their opinion for now...members will make up their own minds.
That's about enough of this though. Back to regular programming.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1