Translation of Shin Gunto blade

Rod,

Akihisa was a respected smith and made many blades for the Army RJT system.  Could I please get a photo of the 46?  Also, is there more of the date visible?  It would be higher, extending above the hole in your second photo.  There could also be a star stamped near the top of the nakago (tang).  But if it's all under rust, then we won't see it.

How about the mounts, and a shot or 2 of the blade showing the hamon?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mywei said:

Takehisa

Auspicious day in October (year not shown in photo)

"Auspicious" (meaning favorable, of good omen) is commonly seen on gunto tangs. What are some other words (common or uncommon) that can appear on gunto tangs in place of Auspicious? 

2 hours ago, uwe said:

“武久” (Takehisa), Bruce!

Ooo..... need more coffee....Thanks Uwe!

Rod,

Thanks for the pics!  That stamp on the mune is the "TO" of the Tokyo 1st Army Arsenal.  And if so, COULD date the blade to before WWII.  Is there chance of seeing more to the date-side of the blade?  And I REALLY would like to have shot of that 46.  I'm doing a study/survey of blades with stamped numbers on them.  I would really appreciate it!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Rod Mountford said:

Is this a batch number?

Your guess is as good as mine.  Predominant theory is they are assembly/fitter numbers put there to keep blade and fittings together during the whole process.  Usually painted numbers are seen, but there are quite a few stamped ones.  Most stamped numbers are found on RJT blades, but I don't see Takehisa on the RJT list.  And there are a few in my survey that are like this one, not RJT, but with stamped numbers.  I don't think they are literally batch numbers, if I understand the term correctly, as there should be duplicate numbers seen on other blades of that batch (of course, as I say that, the idea could still be correct as our sample of stamped blades is so minuscule as a percentage of the 2 million blades produced during the war!).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..