Fun Stuff on Aoi

I have been a bit surprised at some of the listings on Aoi as of late, just cringe worthy. But always worth a look, here are 2 items that are super cool:

Tsuba: Kaga Kinko in a motif I have never seen:

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/af19293%E9%8D%94%EF%BC%9A%E7%84%A1%E9%8A%98%EF%BC%88%E5%8A%A0%E8%B3%80%E9%87%91%E5%B7%A5%EF%BC%89-tsuba-mumeikaga-kinko

Any Motohira is going to get me excited to look and study:

http://www.sword-auction.jp/en/content/as18578%E5%88%80%EF%BC%9A%E8%96%A9%E9%99%BD%E5%A3%AB%E5%85%83%E5%B9%B3%E5%A4%A9%E6%98%8E%E4%BA%8C%E5%B9%B4%E4%BA%8C%E6%9C%88%E6%97%A5-katana-satsuyoshi-motohiratenmei-2-nen-2-gatsuhi

The mixed metals on the 'bones' of the fan, I think are nice. But after seeing it yesterday I was wondering to myself it this tsuba was to be considered as stuffy or pompous or artistic. Personally it could've done without so many of the tiny motives.

• Like 1

post-3432-0-44753800-1564240086_thumb.jpg

The mixed metals on the 'bones' of the fan, I think are nice. But after seeing it yesterday I was wondering to myself it this tsuba was to be considered as stuffy or pompous or artistic. Personally it could've done without so many of the tiny motives.

+1

Axel, Stephen,  this piece may not be to your liking, but kaga kinko works do range from simple to this "kitchen sink" version.  It is an unapologetically over the top showpiece, strictly speaking, restrained elegance and perfect taste is not the intent.  Regardless, its hard not to appreciate the minute engraving and meticulous workmanship.  Stephen, above is a simpler one for you.

-S-

• Like 1

Both are beautiful. The thing is, I agree with above post, these are not even meant to be mounted. These Kaga items are wall or shelf showpieces. More art objects demonstrating artisanal craftsmanship than hilt guards with utilitarian purpose and simple elegance.

The Motohiro is a very fine blade, but I find the 'SALES' koshirae cringeworthy.  Calculated to achieve a package price, mediocre or worse Tosogu, is presented in the prettiest way possible.   The, oh so, predictable cherry on top is the everpresent gold foil habaki.   Personally, I think this distracts from the blade.

-S-

• Like 2

Both are beautiful. The thing is, I agree with above post, these are not even meant to be mounted. These Kaga items are wall or shelf showpieces. More art objects demonstrating artisanal craftsmanship than hilt guards with utilitarian purpose and simple elegance.

Like many fine tsuba, they were treated as presentation pieces.   But, Plenty, of kaga kinko was used, I've seen many swords mounted completely en suite.  The tsuba in question was mounted, note the rubbing caused by a seppa, as noticed by Hamfish.

-S-

Stephen, 

Examine the photos on the AOI website, the fan you reference does not cover the seppa-dai, nor does the one on the botton, everything in direct proximity is flush with it.....nothing prevents it from being used.  Wether it was meant for use is besides the point, it was, as is demonstrated by the obvious seppa friction.  The nakago-ana appears to have been altered several times.  There are many kaga-kinko pieces that were intended to be mounted, as well as others that may not have been but were.

-S-

It's an optical illusion, examine the photos again carefully.  The pine branches are catching the light where they meet a level change, and in the case of the area that butts the sekigane, it is probably lifted from its insertion...this is leading to your reading of flush inlay as RAISED decoration.  Missing and lifting inlay is common in kaga-kinko works, you can see areas of missing inlays in the photos.

-S-

The Motohiro is a very fine blade, but I find the 'SALES' koshirae cringeworthy.  Calculated to achieve a package price, mediocre or worse Tosogu, is presented in the prettiest way possible.   The, oh so, predictable cherry on top is the everpresent gold foil habaki.   Personally, I think this distracts from the blade.

didn't even look at the koshirae, I often don't as it's almost never anything I would want anyway (except for the amazing Tensho set that came with Jean's sword). 

I like the fan tsuba, if for nothing else, it's something I had never seen. Delicate and intricate, but yes, a touch flashy.

Arguing about mounting is sort of silly, none of us are going to mount a mid to higher end tsuba on anything anyway for any kind of actual use. The pieces are babied and preserved.

• Like 1

Jeremiah,

Again, love the blade, hate the merchandising practices of many dealers.  As for the tsuba, the issue of whether, when, if, or if not, does not concern me aesthetically, but it is of general interest, apparently, and begged discussion.  I like it, and as they are seldom seen, they deserve the time expended in studying them.  As for the taste issue, whether yeah or nay is not a factor here, unless your contemplating buying it...a little earnest study enhances our understanding.

-S-

• Like 1

The tsuba design has a very strong Rinpa school aesthetic. It is interesting that Rinpa worked in many formats (even kimonos) but as far as I know they didn't do tsuba. The wiki page is a good read:

post-14-0-06266700-1564355048_thumb.jpg

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rinpa_school

The Nezu museum does good displays of Kenzan and Korin, especially in spring when the iris in the garden bloom. I also have a bowl attributed to Kenzan!!!

post-14-0-69717500-1564354712_thumb.jpg

http://www.nezu-muse.or.jp/en/sp/exhibition/past2018_n03.html

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..