First Japanese Tea Bowl

Soshin

Here is a photo of my first Japanese tea bowl (well sort off).  It is a modern tea bowl in Shino-yaki style.   I don't want to open the box because I am sure I can't retie the nice cord this well.  Maybe I should just wait for my Japanese wife to get home from work.  Any information and good references online or offline about Japanese tea bowls would be welcome.  I have already read the Wikipedia entry on the subject which I found very helpful and informative.      

post-680-0-48849800-1549479889_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Surely wrapping a tomobako is a skill you can learn!

I was thinking to myself yesterday, just how many times have i retied boxes at home. I'm quite curious to see what you got, personally i can't control myself when i receive a new package :)

The way i do it;

1. Put the box in front of you with the calligraphy pointing your way (its generally on the front of a box or on the outside or inside of the lid)

2. Now generally the connected ribbon will coming from the top and left side

3. Insert the cord coming from the right, and pull it towards the left bottom corner (over the cord coming from the topside, below the one coming from the left)

4. Insert the cord coming from the bottom over the 2 from the left, under the top cord to the right top right corner

5. Now you can use the bottom one to make a loop and tie it like your laces:) (best to keep the folds in order so it comes out looking neatly)

Also curious to see who the maker is, the box looks pretty!

• Like 1

My wife helped retie the box after looking at the tea bowl a taking a few photos of it with my iPhone.  Here is photos of tea bowl inside and outside of the wooden storage box as well as the signature under the tea bowl.  The texture and feel of the tea bowl is very nice.

post-680-0-21134300-1549502021_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-29949400-1549502040_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-41464900-1549502085_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Try here:

http://www.e-yakimono.net/guide/

But also just type “Shino ware” in your web browser and off you go! Very nice tea bowl. If you ever do choose to drink tea from it, it should be matcha (powdered tea), but it’s your bowl and your’s to do with as you choose. When you clean the bowl, it is better to use little or no soap (and nothing highly scented) and to let the bowl air dry COMPLETELY. Remember, the water/tea will seep into all the cracks and crevices and if you store it away in the box too soon, mold or stains can form and may give the bowl an ‘off’ smell. ENJOY your new acquisition!

• Like 2

David,

Best not to get too carried away with oneself!  :laughing:   Properly preparing the bowl for use, and the correct aftercare (as Mark noted) will prevent any unpleasant surprises.  BTW, 'life is short', get yourself some palatable tea.

-S-

Sorry SteveK my job it too get carried away in flights of fancy.  Not going to post anymore in the tosogu section...LOL  :rotfl:    

At the risk of embarrassing myself... I believe my translation is close.  Sorry I can't help with the potter's name (bottom left).

Hello Mark,

Thank you.  My Japanese wife was thinking the artist's name is read as 'ken'.    

• 1 month later...

Congrats! Really nice chawan!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with newly made bowls. A good bowl is a good bowl. Old or new, and this certainly looks like a good bowl. :)

I think the first one is special. When you hold it, feel it, look at it and even smell it (the old/used ones can smell "special" :glee: ).

You say: "first". Plans for more?  

Cheers,

Robin

• Like 2

Dear Robin,

At some point I will post better photos of the tea bowl on my website (www.tsubaotaku.com).  Today for my business I was taking photos of different Japanese fine art and antiques that included a Muromachi Period iron tsuba with some of the original black lacquer still on the plate it and two ceramic items that are Satsuma-yaki.  One was a bowl and the other vase.  The vase had a very interesting Zen Buddhist motif.  Please check out my business website (www.raindragonfinearts.com) when you get a chance I am sure you would enjoy it.    

Congrats on your first piece, David. Will you be putting it to use? If so, I can direct you to a wonderful US based shop that sells high end matcha at very fair prices, along with any accessories you may need.

To your bit about recommendations, for anyone looking to get involved with traditional Japanese ceramics, the following book is a must read. And after you've been through it once, read it again for good measure. I simply cannot overstate its importance on the subject. The cherry on top is that IT'S FREE. The print version can still be had for short money, and I recommend grabbing a copy if you like what you see. It's a well made book with fantastic images and dialogue. The quality of examples presented is in the stratosphere and it's overall content very diverse. You get some great background on many different topics that really pull everything together, from a cultural context point of view to the actual process of creating these "delightfully waggish" wares.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Turning_Point.html?id=q50bU2oPj98C&printsec=frontcover&source=kp_read_button

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

I finally was able to take better photos of my first tea bowl.  I really love the color and complexe texture of the tea bowl.  I not going to be drinking tea with it.  My wife only drinks sen-cha and no ma-cha can be found in my home.  I generally just drink what she has on-hand.  I hope everyone enjoys my photos.  I wrote about the bowl on my website briefly.  Here is the URL: https://www.tsubaotaku.com/other-Japanese-art-gallery and enjoy.

post-680-0-58308400-1554207407_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-15090100-1554207428_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-60213700-1554207441_thumb.jpg

post-680-0-34401300-1554207454_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

David,

items like this get their life from use. It seems to be a very nice CHAWAN, and it would certainly be a sensory pleasure to drink from it. There is no rule to use it only for MACHA. While newer CHAWAN are indeed made for CHADO, we must not forget that the early tea-masters bought simple traditional rice-bowls from Korea for their tea ceremony. 

• Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..