Attention Mantetsu Owners: A Survey

I see the "To" but don't see the Nakano stamp?

It is not pictured, just illustrated.  He states it is on the other side of the kabutogane.

反対側に以下の二つの刻印

The following two stamps on the other side

• 2 weeks later...

I just got another one.

Nice Sam!

Can you do me a big favor and post a pic to the serial number without the habaki? The kanji, as view could be either a "Ra" or "U", and it's blocking the top of the kanji.

Thanks dude!

The etched kanji on the tsuba simply match the painted assembly numbers on the nakago "2 8 7"

Bruce,

The Habaki is on very tight, I tried to remove it but didn't want to mess anything up.  I will try again and update when I can. The 3 seppa have the 287 to match the tsuba kanji.  The Tsuka is a little loose and looks to be missing 1 maybe 2 seppa.

Just bought one, and will post it in the For Sale forum. Got it from our famous Showa22 on fleabay, but the blade is legit. MOST of the parts are clearly original with matching assembly number 62. 2 of the smaller seppa might be added later. It's a pretty thing, and blade is a beauty. I believe, and have asked Showa22 for any clarification that he's aware of, the tsuka was rewrapped. The same' is very weathered and yellowed yet the ito is so new looking it doesn't appear to have ever been held in-hand - no sweat or dirt or wear.

In a similar way, the saya has an odd blotchy, yet smooth, poor quality look, yet the metal fittings (except for the ashi) are near mint.

It's a good looking piece, all legit WWII fittings, but the saya paint and weather ito makes me think this was in badly damaged fittings, and has been returned to it's glory by someone who cares about gunto/Mantetsu after the war.

Spring 1943, Nanman stamped, WE 299

Of course, I could be wrong and it's all original.

post-3487-0-69368600-1585101517_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-07909700-1585101525_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-16768500-1585101558_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-84964800-1585101565_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-97998200-1585101575_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-26557500-1585101585_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-17977300-1585101627_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-82380600-1585101645_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-11886900-1585101667_thumb.jpg

post-3487-0-99119900-1585101674_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've done some more looking into the Mantetsu posted in #463. I now feel that all the parts are original except the kabutogane, sayajiri, sarute, and one seppa. Oh, and the ito is new. So I don't think anything was really done to this that I didn't do, myself, to my Dad's Mantetsu. I looks really good. I'm posting now in the For Sale thread.

Hey Bruce, I picked up a very late war rinji, with a mumei blade that looks Mantetsu but no mei or date. BUT, had mune stamps reminiscent of Mantetsu. It is possibly a 1945 desperado, as most of this model had Mantetsu blades. I have three already, you have those numbers. 

Do these numbers ring a bell? Could it be a RARE one? 

Looks like Something 1170. 

post-3858-0-56136400-1585801565_thumb.jpg

post-3858-0-00225300-1585801578_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well, Neil, you never cease to amaze! Your serial number is "い" (hiragana for "I") 1170 and is only found on 1945 blades, so your observation about the year was spot-on. I agree the entire nakago, and the kesho yasurime are classic Mantetsu. But no mei!

Your "desperado" label may be true too, as the serial number is the highest I've seen. All our '45s so far are 3-digit numbers. This COULD be one of the last Mantetsu made!!! That would be a real find, wouldn't it!

The fittings are even "unique-er" than any of that style you've shown us before. Specifically, that ashi is something I haven't seen before. Yes, the band I've seen, but the part where the ring attaches to the band seems unique.

Well, one for the record books. I'll add this to the Mantetsu Study files.

• Like 1

Neil

Very cool!I saw one like yours before,but the blade in not so good condition.

Hey Bruce, I picked up a very late war rinji, with a mumei blade that looks Mantetsu but no mei or date. BUT, had mune stamps reminiscent of Mantetsu. It is possibly a 1945 desperado, as most of this model had Mantetsu blades. I have three already, you have those numbers. 

Do these numbers ring a bell? Could it be a RARE one? 

Looks like Something 1170. 

• Like 1

Thanks Guys, the collector I got it from just described it as a late war mumei blade. It wasn't till I pulled it apart that the mune stamps, file marks and habaki filled me with hope that it could be one of the last 1945's made. The blade is stained, but no rust pits or scratches. I am not one who interferes with swords, but will give it a good oily rub to see how it comes up. 

I am actually pleased there is no mei, as it is very unique, showing that there was no time to inscribe the nakago, but still had the serial number stamped on it. 

It will be interesting to see if there is any later numbers than this I1170, or other mumei Mantetsu turn up.

• Like 1