Sword Polish Question

Sword Polish Question

With all the discussion of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ polishes lately, I have had a question bouncing around in my head and figured I would ask it now (and I apologize if this has been asked before).

I’ve tried to write out my question many times and in different ways, but I never seem to get to the heart of what I am asking… so I am going to try anyway and let the chips fall where they may. For the sake of this discussion, let’s assume good polisher and good polish… not someone ruining blades.

How much of the results of a polish are what is inherent in the blade vs the polisher’s skill? I realize they are intertwined, so the simple answer is “both”. But, for instance, is there a point in the polish where the polisher ‘sees’ everything the blade has to offer and then finishes the polish by highlighting those attributes? For example, if a blade has a slight kaeri that is not readily apparent due to a poor state of polish, does the polisher have to ‘know’ it should be there based on his kantei of the blade (say a Mihara blade where kaeri is common) or will the kaeri show up simply because of the steps of the polish? In the same example, would a polisher ‘lose’ the kaeri if he doesn’t know it should be there, or will a proper polish bring it out no matter what?

I hope you can see where I am headed with my question… and I am sorry if I am confusing an already difficult issue. Of course the skill of the polisher is paramount and they can do incredible things to make a blade ‘better’. But my question is focused more on the structure of the blade vs. the skill of the polisher, assuming one can separate the two. In actuality I know they can’t be separated, but in theory… “How much of the blade’s natural attributes are brought out simply by the polishing process vs the 'extras' a qualified polisher can highlight?”

Where I keep thinking my question is 'dumb' or confusing is that the 'extras' ARE a part of a normal, good polish. But I am throwing it out there anyway to see what happens... :)

Thanks,

Mark S.

In my understanding, a good polisher can show everything the smith was able to incorporate in the blade, but he cannot produce effects not present in the steel. If there is no UTSURI, he cannot "make" one.

A not so good polish is probably not showing all the features the smith intended.  

• Like 1

If the proper polishing sequence is followed and shiage is done properly, whatever characteristics are in the steel will be visible. An apparent hamon can be done with the hadori process, but that is basically just "makeup" or cosmetic. The different structures in the steel are a result of differential hardening, and respond differently and visually to the polishing stones.

My take on it:

A regular polisher will be able to see all activities and bring them out.

A good polisher will do the above, adjust the shape (if necessary), and “push back” loose hada (to a certain extent).

A very good polisher will do the above in a well balanced, pleasing, natural way.

An excellent polisher will do the above while “surpressing” flaws, and adding things that are not there – like an interrupted hamon or a missing bōshi - in a way many people won’t be able to tell.

• Like 9

All his posts can do so and always make one think = that said he is still correct - a really good toshigi and make a mediocre blade look very good a poor polish can make a great blade look

less than it should = lipstick on a pretty girl can be an improvement but not on a pig no matter how well applied @

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..