English Index for Nihonto Jiten by Tokuno Kazuo

Hi Jeff,

Nihonto Jiten is included in my Index of Japanese Sword Literature on the JSS/US website (jssus.org). If you want a stand alone index of just this book it is pretty easy to extract one.

Grey

Grey I'm far from illerate when it comes to computers but just how do I go about extracting an index? I know the text is referenced in the JSSUS but I went to the site and couldn't find just the index. You can PM me. Thanks once again for all your help now and in the past.

JDromm

Hi Jeff,

jssus.org and click on JSL Index at the top. Click on the index of sword smiths and in the search box type NJ (the code for the book). This gives you 621 smiths with all the books they're found in. Copy and paste this into a word doc. Now go through the 621 and delete everything you don't want and you'll be left with what you do want: an index of just Nihonto Jiten. Goes quicker than you might expect.

A while back some of the guys here were doing this for different books and posting that their indexes could be had for an email. You might try a search of NMB for Nihonto Jiten to see if maybe someone has already done the book.

Grey

Not to be a douchbag, but really, the best way to navigate Japanese Nihonto texts is to make yourself familiar with the kanji...After all, you have the kanji in front of you on the mei itself...work out the pronunciation and look it up from there. After a while, the basic group of "more common" mei kanji will become familiar and you won't need translated indexes....I'm just trying to point out the obvious...it worked for many of us...as I said, you already need to know how to pronounce the kanji to know where on the index you will find the page...why not go straight to the Japanese index...it will improve your skills further.

Always relying on English (or other) translations in the first instance means you are never becoming proficient in the basic building blocks od Japanese smith names.

No offence intended, just trying to point out the practical...

Regards,

Hi, Jeff,

sorry for the English version of my site. Due to lack of time I have not updated it yet. I have the Nihonto Jiten index, though.

I have already extracted most of Greys index of sword literature. For all books on my site http://www.juwelier-strebel.de/asien-ku ... echer.html , marked with a star, I have an index available.

I do not sell these anyway, but will send them free of charge to NMB members. Just pm me your regular e-mail and I´ll send it to you.

Cheers, Martin

Not to be a douchbag, but really, the best way to navigate Japanese Nihonto texts is to make yourself familiar with the kanji...After all, you have the kanji in front of you on the mei itself...work out the pronunciation and look it up from there. After a while, the basic group of "more common" mei kanji will become familiar and you won't need translated indexes....I'm just trying to point out the obvious...it worked for many of us...as I said, you already need to know how to pronounce the kanji to know where on the index you will find the page...why not go straight to the Japanese index...it will improve your skills further.

Always relying on English (or other) translations in the first instance means you are never becoming proficient in the basic building blocks od Japanese smith names.

No offence intended, just trying to point out the practical...

Regards,

I guess unlike some people I don't have instant learning and recall. Learning Kanji is something I am doing but it is not instantaneous or easy.In the interim, it helps to be able to navigate all Japanese texts and not to have to pour thru hundreds of pages to find the kanji you've learned or are looking for.Your points are well talen.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..