Yoshimichi generation?

Mark

I have an 18" wakizashi. It is signed (no) Yoshimichi. The blade has classic "natural" sudareba and Osaka yakidashi. I think the mei is genuine (blade work looks right on). I am sure it is Osaka branch. I am not sure what generation, i am thinking 2nd or 3rd....... any comments (good or bad) and suggestions welcome.

thanks!

post-102-14196840238918_thumb.jpg

post-102-14196840242856_thumb.jpg

It's the below kanji that puzzles me - it's usually more defined

-

post-502-14196840321088_thumb.jpg

I can't find any match in the first 3 generations - I have a collection of Yoshimichi mei (all papered). Normally that part of the kanji is lot more defined. The only Yoshimichi who did it in the way of your blade was Hokakke Tamba, which this obviously isn't. So 4th or 5th gen maybe?

Mark

I used to collect Yoshimichi blades, and during that time, I compiled every oshigata I could find on the various generations of Yoshimichi smiths (Osaka and Mishina) found in the taikans, and those that received papers. I looked at the oshigata collection book I have with the various oshigata in it, and your mei appears to me to be most similar to the shodai Osaka Yoshimichi examples that I have, rather than the 3rd generation smith. I have a copy of page 142 out of either the Shinto Taikan or the Osaka Shinto Taikan (not sure which one) in my oshigata collection, which shows oshigata examples listed as numbers 3 and 4. Look at number 4. If you have access to the Shinto or Osaka Shinto Taikan and that page number, you may want to take a look at page 142 and see what you think. Obviously, a picture of a oshigate/mei alone in a book is insufficient to make any real kantei assessment, but it is at least a starting point. Maybe one of the far more knowledgable members can comment on whether your mei could possibly be that of the shodai Osaka Yoshimichi. If you would like, I would be happy to scan you a copy of all the oshigata I have for the Shodai. Just send me an email at besheehan@aol.com. Good luck.

Best regards

Bill E. Sheehan

Mark,

thank you for those efforts-honestly speaking,but-LOL-i can see nothing at all!-Laugh

No worry-you can easily distinguish about those both schools normally.

Your´s Mei seems correct,rest equally.

Of course neither Shodai´s nor Nidai from bot traditions-as i once in past used to have one Nidai of each branch papered Tok.Hozon and did focus myself on them...

I but am confident in heading you into Mike´s(Ricecracker) direction here-an friend of him did purchase mine Osaka-Nidai those days...

You may contact him-quite confortable those Guys can help you...

Thanks for your´s efforts again!(i do know from own experience-taking pictures may result somehow into Sissiphus sometimes...)

:)

Christian

The presence of yakidashi and the ji „kami“ point at first glance to Osaka Tanba. I have no access to the Fujishiros for I‘m off my home. However when comparing the mei with my online database the ji „ba“ is as mentioned very different to those of the Osaka Tanba generations. Furthermore the quality of the chiseling is remarkably inferior if compared with shoshin examples, the difference is obvious, all in all the execution of the mei lacks the refinement of the shoshin examples.

Just my opinion

Eric

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..