I spoke to Bob Haynes today and he4 told me he will be in London on 6th May

He will stay until just after the Southerby's sale on the 14th May

He is quite happy to meet up with collectors

He did ask about Alan Bale who I believe was still trading

Let me know if anyone in interested in meeting him

Grev

• Like 1

Hello Grev,

This topic reminded my to mail photos of my new tsuba to Bob Haynes.  I enjoy talking to him about the new tsuba I have acquired.  I am planning to talk to Bob in person at the San Francisco show later in the Summer.    

He told me he was going to be at the San Francisco show this year when I talked to him via telephone during the late winter (Jan.- Feb.) timeframe.  I hope he feels up to it.  I enjoy meeting him a few years back at the Tampa show.  He signed my copy of Gai So Shi .    

Hi David

I didn't think he did the 'shows' anymore

Grev

Hi

Latest from Bob Haynes

I will be staying at the hotel below:

Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex

19-25 Granville Place

Marble Arch

London

W1H 6PA, United Kingdom

Tel 020 7408 0130

Perhaps you and anyone else you would like to ask could meet at the hotel during my stay. I don’t go out at night anymore

Please tell friends I will be happy to look at any pieces they wish to show me and I am interested in buying good material.

You can leave any messages at the hotel for me

All my best

Bob

He may be available between 7 - 15 May but you need to phone. He will be getting a mobile shortly but you need to ring the hotel first

If anyone prefers for me to make the initial contact ~I'm happy to do so

He will have a short stay in Germany on the way home so again try to reach him at the hotel if you are in Germany

Grev

I don't know where he is staying but I can find out when he arives in the UK

He spend a lot of time in Germany many years ago so it will be a friend of over fifty years

According to an NMB poll Germany is a great place to be for a collector

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

My wife and I met up with Robert Haynes yesterday and it was a wonderful day

I took 36 tsuba with me so we had a couple of hours in his rom while we discussed them

I had sorted them into groups

Myochin, Kanaguchi (tachi), Tosho, gimei, two very good Namban and a selection of my favourites

The first four groups were to see the quality of my tsuba, their characteristics and what to look for when buying

Bob told me about the Haynes crud index, just so much to learn!

We had a bite to eat then he took to Bonham's to look at some tsuba along with other Japanese items

Back to his room for a bit more chat about how he started and about people and teachers he had known

I was surprised no one else apart from Alan Bale had arranged to met him whilst in London but that's life

I know Bob (computers and Bob are like oil and water) won't read this but I'm still going to give him our very hearty thanks

At Bonham's

post-2100-0-30674100-1557740735_thumb.jpg

Grev

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Unfortunately I did not read this post until after I visited Bonhams on the Monday. As I sat alone viewing the tsuba, I was aware of an elderly gentleman briefly talking to a member of staff then leaving.  It might have been Bob and I missed a golden opportunity to meet him.

I have been trying to find a copy of his Index of Jap Sword Fittings and Artists.  I believe it was only published in 2001 in Germany, but I can't seem to find copies available to buy on the Internet.  Anyone can help?

Regards, John

Elliott has the remaining new stock of the Haynes Indexes of Japanese sword fittings and associated artists sets, and Grey also has a copy:

http://www.japaneseswordbooksandtsuba.com/store/books/b760-index-Japanese-sword-fittings-and-associated-artists-robert-haynes

Just remember to also grab the two addendum books (as Grey had duly noted in his description).

Best,

rkg

(Richard George)

• Like 3

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..