Tsuba Signature Identification?

neddyboy

Hello all, I'd like to learn more about a tsuba that has been in my family for years, well before WW2. The text is hard to read much less photograph, but I've done my best. Does anyone recognize it? I'm most interested in how old it is and who made it. Thanks in advance for any info you can supply!

post-4867-0-49053600-1550950214_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-20096400-1550950234_thumb.jpg

post-4867-0-30659700-1550950257_thumb.jpg

Neddyboy,

welcome to the board!

Please sign all posts with your first name plus an initial as is requested here. You can add your signature to your profile.

Your TSUBA is from CHOSHU province, but I can't read the maker's name, sorry.

http://www.shibuiswords.com/choshutsubaBK.html

http://swordsofjapan.com/project/choshu-tsuba/

Thanks raymondsinger! So Choshu Hagi refers to where, yes? Why is the maker Kawaharu/Kawaji two separate names? Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm very ignorant about this stuff. Hell, my family thought it was some sort of trivet for decades.

Jonathan,

this is a nice and well preserved TSUBA although it is a bit dusty. You can wipe it with a soft tissue and a very small amount of Camellia oil (or any other household oil), but please refrain from any attempt to "improve" the signature as this will damage it and reduce its historical and monetary value. 

Iron TSUBA may be handled without cotton gloves, as this will not damage the patina. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..