help with a poorly incised mei - difficult to see

b.hennick

HI fellow listeros:

Someone brought me a blade that had a very shallow incised mei that was difficult to read. I thought that I could photograph it and improve the visibility with Photoshop. I did not have great success. You will not find this an easy task. Here is the URL to see some photos. All help will be appreciated.

http://tinyurl.com/3cbznc

Thank you both for the effort! When I looked at my references it was obvious that this is indeed a poor gimei. The blade did not have anything of the quality of Kotetsu - now to find the other 10 gimei to make the saying "for every one Kotetsu there are eleven fakes" - much appreciated.

Barry,

Sorry if it came across as a correction, I am not even sure if that is indeed the old saying..just seem to remember it somewhere. I was just emphasising how the old humour confirmed the amount of gimei Kotetsu blades out there. Does anyone know the wording of the old saying?

Brian

Can't help thinking that if a Japanese dealer had a Kotetsu, he wouldn't sell it on eBay unless he had verified if it was shoshin or not?

Somehow I can't see these guys trying something at $10K that could be worth a heck of a lot more if they put it through shinsa.

A private guy who doesn't know a lot, maybe. But a regular dealer...hmmm. :)

Brian

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one, unless your post is really relevant and adds to the topic..